Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phiwwy

Would you put a storm door on this front door?

phiwwy
11 years ago

We just replaced the front door, painted the house, did the front walk,and re-did the trim around the front door.

As much as I would like to put on the storm door - I'm not sure now if we should. (I could use the storm on another door, except the finish of the handle wont match)

Would you leave this front entry as is or use the storm door?

Where would you put the house numbers?

Would you put anything else on the door, like a knocker?

Note that the door handle/hardware will be satin nickel when it comes in.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

Storm door, no
    Different color, yes, red?
    House #'s on the pillar maybe
    Door knocker, probably not,seasonal wreath maybe

• jmc01
    11 years ago

if you live north of zone 5b, yes to the storm door. If your front door is facing west, yes to the storm door. Don't believe it should all be about esthetics.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Storm door if your weather requires it, but if you do, make it as invisible as possible. It's very pretty as is.

I might do small numbers on the mailbox, or large scripty ones on the...wait have you taken this to the home decorating forum? They love front doors!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/decor/

• handymac
    11 years ago

A black frame storm with full glass would be ideal.

Our local property codes require minimum 4" tall address numbers. Many people forget addresses are very important to emergency responders---not being able to easily find the number dramatically slows their response time.

On one of those columns is the ideal location from that view. However, mounting flat numbers on a round post will cause weather to get behind the numbers and cause stains or worse.

Painting the numbers on using a fancy font stencil would look better.

• kai615
    11 years ago

The house looks beautiful. I understand your hesitant about putting a storm door on, but I agree with jmc, not everything is about esthetics. I would agree to make it as invisible as possible. I would add that you have the weather to worry about, but in my case it acted as a bug stopper. We removed our storm door when we gutted as it was falling apart. We have not replaced it yet as we have not replaced the front door yet. What I have found this summer is that the bugs, mostly moths at night, attach themselves to the glass of our front door at night. If anyone enters at night they are immediately in our house. There is no longer a buffer. Of course I live in a very wooded area. I can not tell from your pics what type of environment you are in, you would know best.

I would also vote for the numbers on the columns or out at the curb if you don't want them obtrusive. I agree also with handymac's neighborhood take, small numbers on your mailbox is just not right.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

It's not all about aesthetics. But it is a LOT about aesthetics. Do you have nay vestibule on the inside? How often is this entrance used?

I'd try doing without, and then decide if the function you really need is worth giving up the look you want.

It looks terrific

• Artichokey
    11 years ago

Based on the leaves on the ground and a guess about your climate: yes, I'd install a storm door. :) They help with heat loss, of course, but they also protect the door and hardware from the elements. My grandparents' home does *not* have a storm door because they didn't want to cover a beautiful new paint job, with the result that we've had to repaint it every five years or so. :( In climates with sleet/hail/snow (which usually also have some intense spring storms!), storm doors usually don't detract from the appearance of a house because everyone expects them to be there!

In my neighborhood, house numbers are spray-painted on walkways: definitely not the best look ever, but very important for emergency services, and let's face it, most of us spend very little time staring at the front of our house. Is there room to put some decorative numbers on the flat portion of the overhang? They might not be large enough for emergency response, but they would be very visible from the street for guests/UPS/etc., but leave clean lines around your doorway.

The front of your house looks beautiful, BTW: wonderful work!

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

I'm having the same dilemma. My heart wants an old wood screen door like the one I just took off (beyond repair), instead of an aluminum storm door. Yes, the storm door can be full view and have the retractable screen above so I'd still have somewhat of a screen in summer; but the t-shaped, full view wood screen door allows more air flow and looks so nice on my old wood-sided house. Plus when I do order the storm door I need a custom size. :(

Anyway, I think a full view storm door would look best on your house.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. What I have ordered and received is a full-view Anderson 3000 black storm door. can swap out the glass for the screen in the summer, but we probably won't bother.

I could use that storm on my side door, as I have not ordered one for there yet, I had planned on getting a slide down glass/screen model (with the 1 horizontal bar).

I will also post on the decorating forum.

• dekeoboe
    8 years ago

3 year old thread

• PRO
    cormier designs
    8 years ago

Thats ok dekeoboe; I am having the same problem now. Much appreciated custom-built windows and doors.

• PRO
    Custom Built Windows and Doors
    8 years ago

Hey, no problem! Happy to help answer any questions you have