Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adding a little charm

Posted by kellykath (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 22:52

I'm doing a reno to a 1920's bungalow and have quite a bit of maintenance issues/updates that need to get done. This is a small 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath - the 1/2 part is the tiniest room with a tiny corner sink and a toilet. Anyway, I was thinking about adding a few details to make it a little more "charming". I can't spend too much on the "extras" however I was wondering if in a small hallway that leads to a bath at the end and 3 other rooms along the way if anyone has ever installed french doors to the entry of the rooms- I would then hang pretty coordinating fabric on the inside (double sided) so both sides would look good). I would just like to add SOMETHING to give the house a bit of character. The outside windows are not french. So . . . . my question is - - has anyone seen or done something like this or is it not the "right" thing to do. My goal is to keep the vintage look however the cheapo doors that exist in the rooms are going to be replaced anyway. I'm most likely going to turn this place into a rental and want to give it some added charm. I would really appreciate it if you have this situation if you could post a picture for me as well. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adding a little charm

Lots of old pre-war apartments had french doors, and they would often have fabric on them. I suggest you search on Houzz for something link french door bedrooms fabric and see what turns up.

o

Perhaps it would be best if you posted some photos of what you are talking about.

o

Here are a few photos that might work. If you do hang fabric, it's often easier to open and close the doors, if you put rods at top and bottom. If you want to see a bit of view to the other side, you can tie the middle of the fabric, or not, to have more privacy. Hope this helps :)

From Cottage house plans

From Cottage house plans

o

Adding a little charm? Be careful--too much charm may be a dangerous condition! If you're not careful, you will find yourself in cute!

Good luck on your project!

o

I've seen doors like that, particularly in Boston, or older homes further south. They control the heat, so that for example, the formal living and dining room could be left chilly, and the heat concentrated on the popular rooms. They also control noise. It's the opposite of an open floor plan. For a bathroom, it would be something to get used to, but if the bath opens to a somewhat secluded hallway, then it would be okay. And the fabric could be cute. I think it's a great idea.

o

I did something similar in my bathroom...here is a pic:
http://pinterest.com/pin/197595502372887888/

I was going to get oil rubbed bronze rods from Rejuvenation.com and hang sheers, but decided to use Krylon looking glass spray paint instead for a vintage mirrored effect on one side, and painted the other side so it looks like wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: french doors to bathroom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here