Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canada03

Ceramic Tile - install & grout same day

canada03
17 years ago

We have the ceramic tile guy coming over this week to do the kitchen backsplash. He mentioned to my wife that he was going to do the tiles and grout one day, and then come back the next day to caulk the edges. From my cursory reading I thought that you had to let the adhesive dry for 48 hrs before grouting. My wife seems to remember that when we had the floor tiled another guy did it all the same day. Can I professional do this and get away with it (I mean quality), or is it wrong and I should say something if it appears it's going to be all done in the same day?

Comments (11)

• ttfweb
    17 years ago

You can definately do the setting and grouting in the same day. You need to let the tile set up enough so it doesn't pop loose when you grout it. If the tiles stay in place, there are no quality issues with grouting sooner.

• spanky67
    17 years ago

I believe most pros mix thinset with something (epoxy??) other than water to speed cure time, allowing them to grout the same day. According to the books I've read, there is a 24-48 hour reccomended wait time before grouting if you mix with water.

If you ask this question over in "Bathrooms"...minus the kitchen reference (to avoid the inevitable snide comment)...an extremely bright guy name Bill Vincent will probably answer. He's the resident tile expert. Throwing tile in the title will probably help get his attention.

• philmont_2006
    17 years ago

Canada,
    Your o.k. when doing it myself I like to wait, but then I'm pretty much shot for the day too. But I have one project a contractor did for me in 1991 with 8x8 tiles in an entryway to a commercial building they did both the same day. The tile has held up great. Yeh, everything you read says wait 24 hours but if the contractor is good you will be fine doing it the same day.
    Thanks Dave

• john_pcnet_com
    13 years ago

Danger! All of you are forgetting one major fact. Until thinset is cured, like in 24 hours, it has a "biscuit" strength phase and will release tile if they are disturbed. So, if you walk on a freshly tiled floor and there is enough thinset under a tile to fill a gap, the thicker thinset area will take longer to bond. When you walk on it, it will release and although you make a perfect grout phase, the grout line will crack in two days because the tile is loose. You will need to take up the bad tile, grind out the old thinset and do it right. Short time tile jobs are done with a product named "SPEEDSET". It can be grouted in 6 hours without any bad results. Maybe that's what the commercial contractor did. Look into the new anti microbial grouts and your grout will last longer too.

• Lindola
    9 years ago

How difficult is it to pull up tile that hasn't been grouted yet? They were just cut and placed into thin set I guess.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Lindola:

Get a hammer and chisel and have at it; but be sure to wear eye protection. Scraping and/or grinding the thinset is the next problem.

• loves2read
    9 years ago

I don't imagine anyone is walking on a backsplash--but depending on the tile's style and layout, you might use a good bit of torque getting the grout into the tiles...
    Do you know that type of grout he is using?

• premalini79
    8 years ago

I'm getting backsplash tile installed (18x18) with epoxy grout. The contractor says he can do it in a day. Based on this thread and Bill Vincent's comments, should I ensure that the Contractor uses "Speedset" instead of "Thinset"? Or do I need both? Is there a particular brand of this "Speedset" that is recommended?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

Make sure the contractor uses Speedset, takes a long lunch, then grouts afterward. I've had leftover Speedset start to set up in my bucket when I'm cleaning up. You have to throw the chunks away because they won't dissolve even if you blast 'em with a hose.

I don't know how any contractor could make any money installing and grouting a small job like a backsplash on separate days. Maybe if he lived right next door.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Most of the advice offered here is for thin-set mortar but the OP said the tile would be installed with adhesive. We don't know what kind of adhesive but ordinary organic mastic will initially hold the tile better and set faster so the tile can be grouted in the same day.