Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new2this24

Need major help remodeling...

New2This24
9 years ago

So due to certain personal issues I have to find a house and I have to find one now. I can't rent due to certain other issues, this house, even though I don't like the look of it or the layout, it's going to have to be the one I get. Usually if I'm looking at a house, I have multiple visions pop up telling me different ways I could redesign or remodel a house, but with this one, nothing! I have no clue what to do. I really hate the kitchen, with no space for a table and the layout. I hate that all the windows are different heights and sizes, really hate the bathroom and bedroom. Definitely don't like the outside look. Help me please? I need to remodel to make this my house, make me happy with this house. It's a 1 bed/1bath. Wish it was bigger to say the least, but I could be happy with a 1 bed/1.5 bath house. Any ideas how to remodel? If this was your house, how would you remodel?

*Front of the house

*Back of House

*Living Room with Bedroom Doorway on Left, Kitchen Doorway on Right, There is no chimney

*Standing in the Bedroom Doorway looking towards the Front Door

*Bedroom

*Bathroom

*Kitchen from the Living Room Doorway

*Kitchen from the Laundry Room Doorway, which is between the Stove and the Refrigerator

*Front Porch

Comments (19)

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tear it down and build all new if you hate everything about the house. I find it a rather charming little cottage.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

It looks to be in good shape and liveable for now.

Do you want to redo what's there now, or add on to it? Or redo now and add on later? Would you do the work yourself?

I understand how you feel about the mixed window sizes, but that will be less obvious (on the inside) once you have furniture, etc. Right now there's not much to look at except the windows.

Many people dislike paneling; dark paneling can be oppressive. (I love good quality paneling, but would be bothered by the different colors of wood: the paneling, the window molding, and the doors. Could that be part of what's bothering you?) Is the paneling solid wood or the cheap stuff? You can paint it or replace it.

If you want suggestions, I think we need to know what you need in the way of more space. Are the current rooms too small? Can you fit a shallow table against the wall in the kitchen (between the door to the living room and the corner)? What are your priorities?

For advice about a major remodel or addition, a floor plan is a must.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Important question, what is your budget and what bothers you most? I would start there.

I think it is a cute, blank slate. Exterior, I would add a pop of color, bright flowers, maybe paint the awnings green. I would put a moderate sized bush on each side of the stairs and repair the broken cap, if the bush did not cover it.

Inside, remove or paint the paneling & paint bathroom walls (I would probably choose blue). Kitchen: if I did not want to replace cabinets, I might paint them white, would absolutely change the knobs/pulls on cabinets; would change countertop to something either really light or really dark, and then would choose a complimentary/contrasting backsplash (making sure at least one of them did not have a busy pattern), would also paint kitchen walls. Maybe change flooring.

Throughout the house, window treatments, new carpet (if needed) or some area rugs. Cannot tell what is in the fireplace opening. If it is non-working, I would put a bunch of plants there (real or silk/faux).

Looks like a fun project.

• New2This24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Main problem: Kitchen Layout with no Dining Room Space and the Bathroom.

Yes, the cabinets in the kitchen would go white, don't like brown. I don't like all cabinets on one wall, with the door to the laundry room going between the stove and the refrigerator. At some point I do want to add a dining room. I'll add the floor plan up later and possible new addition floor plan. I can't add to much to the front of the house because of how close the road is, but I can extend on the sides and back of the house. I've got about $15,000 right now to play with to make it more livable. I can do with the size of the rooms, but I'm bit of a weirdo when it comes to bathrooms. I can't stand used bathtubs or toilets, so that would have to be altered. Can I add on a bathroom at the end of the house for less than $15,000? Turn the other bathroom into a 1/2 bathroom. It'll be nothing fancy of course. Most of the work I can do myself or I've got family members who specialize in different jobs, that I can get them to help me. The carpet would come up, I'm going to put wood flooring down throughout. I'm going to paint the paneling, it doesn't bother me at all. I do want to make the porch bigger at a later date, but it can wait.

• User
    9 years ago

No, your budget isn't sufficient for an addition. It's barely adequate to makeover the existing bath.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cost vs. Value

• mdln
    9 years ago

While it may be just the perspective of the photograph, without having a floorplan, it does look like a long run of cabinets. Do you need that many? Can you move the stove or fridge into the cabinet wall and put a table where the fridge was?

Replacing toilet is not too expensive. Have you considered one of those bathfitters type overlays for the tub/shower? While I don't really like them, a friend got one and it looks quite good.

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

Replace the wrought columns and railings with wood or woodlook synthetics. The iron is visually too flimsy and inconsistent with the style of the house.

A windowbox under the kitchen windows will help offset the asymmetry and add a spot of color. Paint the storm door and front door a nice, welcoming color.

The paneling looks like the 4x8 pressboard pseudowood stuff. Is there drywall or plaster behind it and if so, is it in good shape? At the very least, I'd paint the paneling a nice light color.

I'm stumped on the fake fireplace. The original owners probably had a space heater in front of it. You could keep the mantel and paint a mural of a roaring fire or a basket of flowers or some such in the opening.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

I think your kitchen has some possibilities. I've got a few ideas, but really need a floorplan with dimensions to figure out what will work. We changed a tiny L-shaped kitchen with 4 feet of total counter space into a galley kitchen with 14' of counters and triple the cabinets by moving a couple doorways and shrinking a window.

If you're DIY, you can absolutely do this on the cheap. We're on the home stretch of a $10K whole-house remodel of a 940 sf house.

On the bathroom, if all you hate is the used tub and toilet, you can put in a new toilet for $100 and replace the acrylic/fiberglass tub surround with a new one for maybe $300 (not sure; haven't ever priced them) plus some elbow grease. Then you wouldn't need to build an addition for a new bath.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

It's absolutely charming...or could be! All you need is some cleaning, paint and a little vision :)

If it were me, I'd take off those awnings! Probably are good for blocking sun, but so are trees. Mismatched window sizes are VERY cottage, but trying to make them look uniform (like having those awnings) is all wrong.

Instead, celebrate the difference! Add shutters to the longer windows (where possible) and window boxes to the small windows. Create some interest with details.

If you're not enamored with the wrought iron columns, just plant some vines to grow up them. Add some trellis for roses, where you want to cover up a blank space against the house.

Same inside...if you don't like the paneling, paint it! Leave the fake mantle, but paint it so the trim really pops. You can always put an electric heater there or just a screen.

The kitchen seems to have space for a little bistro table and two chairs, over by the window. Maybe a metal one, like you'd see in the garden?

For whatever reason, you need to make a drastic change. Instead of being negative about this house...find a way to embrace it. Think of this as an adventure and look through library books on cottages. This is going to be a lot of fun, if you make the best of it and think a bit outside the box :)

A few ideas....

Small table and chairs for the kitchen {{gwi:2066817}}From Courtyard Garden album
    {{gwi:1937173}}From Courtyard Garden album

Have some fun with those open kitchen shelves...and find creative ways to use storage. {{gwi:2068666}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures
    {{gwi:1791189}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Light weight furniture is easy to move and gives you more flexibility... {{gwi:2068667}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures
    {{gwi:2068668}}From Kitchen tables and vintage kitchens
    {{gwi:1957285}}From 1920s kitchen project

And have some fun with the garden! {{gwi:1506355}}From Pink kitchen

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 18:44

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I agree with everyone else - very cute cottage with lots of potential. Lavender lass' pics are great! I would get rid of the awnings and wood paneling. Paint the cabinets. Add some plantings in front. Buy a new toilet. Clean the tub with clorox cleaner to sterilize it. Maybe get rid of the door in the kitchen to give more space. Then I would live in it to see how you want the house to work for you.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Thanks, Rocky :)

• johnc777
    9 years ago

A floorplan with dimensions would be nice...

If you and/or family can provide the labor, you can remodel a small bathroom for a whole lot less than $15,000. The only drawback is that you can't use the only bathroom while the renovations are underway. ;-)

I've been in older homes where cabinets with a similar style were painted. They look like old cabinets that were painted. I don't see the appeal but it's your house not mine.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Remove the mantel and put a big media cabinet there. You'll need some place for the TV & cable box, right?

Looks like lots of great counter space in the kitchen, at least. Can you move the fridge to the wall opposite the stove & put a rectangular farm table in the center for a combination dining/work table? Some tables are rather narrow, which might work.

I say keep a bottle of Clorox in the bathroom, bleach down the toilet & tub frequently to quell your germ fears, and get over your used bath fixture phobia :) The money saved can be better spent elsewhere.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

My immediate thought is that a little house like this doesn't need a dedicated laundry room. You can put machines in a closet and use the former laundry room space for a table and chairs. The kitchen actually looks quite large for the house, so with the laundry room space added to it, you should be very happy.

A floor plan would really help to make other suggestions.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

The house is charming; much more livable than what we purchased 20 yrs ago. I would suggest to move in and live in it for a while before making structural changes. If I was antsy to get going with some major changes, experience has taught me to bring in an expert for advice for the entire house or for all the things I didn't like about the layout, etc. Get a whole house solution design and then take it from there, a little at a time. You'll have a cohesive plan.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Whew - what an opportunity to be creative. Here are a couple of ideas for the exterior. Multiple posts of course.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Another one:

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

And another:

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I don't think it will take much to bring out the charm in your little cottage. I think it's already quite darling.

With just a few touches, the front will be sweet. I'd start with lavenderlass's idea of planting vines and/or roses there to wind around the metal railings/posts. Then I'd paint the door and bright, fun color. I think it's screaming for a nice, cheery red. Add some nice shrubbery and flowers. I'd also leave the windows as is and add the flower box under the shorter window as previously suggested for color and balance.

I love the awnings. They're in keeping with the character of the home and I'm guessing they serve a useful purpose. I'd paint them or leave them as is. The flowers, shrubs, and bright door might be enough color.

I think the kitchen is wonderful. I would do whatever possible to preserve the cabinets if they are in good shape. If they're solid wood, the cost to replace with similar quality would be very expensive. If they look a bit shabby, I would not paint them but, rather, spend the time refinishing them. Just a good cleaning and some oiling might even be enough to do the trick. Some other redecorating, possibly new counters, and a throw rug and I think that kitchen will be amazing.

I would either paint or remove the paneling in the front room and I like the ideas for utilizing the faux fireplace area.

I don't understand the heebie-jeebies about the bathroom fixtures. If you use public restrooms, a good cleaning should be enough (if they're in good shape and working order, that is). Obviously the bathroom could use some paint and other simple redecorating.

I think most of the work needs to be in the back of the house. I like the idea of making it the dining area. Enclose W/D in a closet and put a dining table in there. Then put in a nice patio door and build a deck or make a nice patio. It looks like some privacy walls around the deck/patio would be good as it looks wide open without much seclusion from people driving by.

I love your new home and really think it's only a few touches needed to make it an incredible place to live. Have fun with it.