Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drywall wasn't taped by builder... newb question please

Posted by merrybookwyrm (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 24, 10 at 21:28

I'm a total newb at home fixing. Sigh.

I took off old wallpaper, prepared the drywall (I thought), and added texture to the walls. So far, so good. I didn't realize, until I got to the only corner not covered by cabinets, that the original builder did not tape the corner where the walls come together. I then removed popcorn ceiling, and found the builder did not tape the ceiling-wall junctions either. I have thought I would have to take the texture and popcorn off the drywall and tape the drywall seams. It was suggested that I could caulk these seams instead. Is this a good idea? If it is a good idea, can caulk be painted?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drywall wasn't taped by builder... newb question please

I would suggest doing the job right, which would mean mudding and taping the seams. The factory edges of drywall are beveled to accept mud so caulk would only fill in the gap between the pieces, you'd still have a bit of a valley on either seam for about 3". Pretty darn noticeable on a ceiling without a very heavy texture like popcorn.

Yes, some caulks can be painted although 100% silicone caulks usually can not. Read the tube.

o

Thank you. Mudding and taping the seams it is.

o

Taping the seams is a structural issue as well as a cosmetic one. A unified taped drywall surface helps a home to resist shear loads. It's stiffer and more structurally sound. If the joints are not taped, then each can move independently as the home shifts and settles, leading to more cracks and a less stable home.

o

"Shear loads" as in loads created by home shifting due to *moving slab foundations*?

Thank you very much for enlightening me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here