Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help installing a gas fireplace at floor level

Posted by bobbie46 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 20:21

We intended to install a wood burning fireplace but while the carpenter was here, the roofer came by and said it couldn't be cone without compromising the roof since the chimney had to go through the valley. Rushed out and bought a gas insert, ventless. It has a 6" metal face at the base which makes it difficult to install at floor level. I prefer floor level fireplaces because they look more authentic to me. I was tired and gave up and planned a small raised hearth (9") to allow the fireplace to inserted without having to cut out the floor joists. If I build a raised hearth, the mass of the box, together with the hearth (at least 12-15") takes a big chunk out of my room. To lower it enough to conceal the metal at the base and put the actual hearth of the FP at floor level, the manufacturer suggests a 5" mortar base. This would be difficult if not impossible. The box is built but the fireplace is not installed. Is there any way I can safely lower it beneath the wooden floor so that it sits at floor level? The room was an old tile floored porch. We raised the floor but beneath the floor joists the tile floor on a floating slab remains. If I cut out the floor joists what would hold up the floor? Please make suggestions if you know how to do this. Thanks for all help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help installing a gas fireplace at floor level

There are gas fireplaces designed to be placed at floor level. We have one in our dining room. The brand name is Monessen (I think) but other manufacturers may also offer them.

o

You acted in haste, and unfortunately, the old adage is coming true for you. Quick decisions are usually not the best decisions. Your best solution at this point is if this unit will not work for you design wise, then sell it on Craigslist and buy a different one that will work within your design restrictions. Never violate the manufacturers installation instructions. Especially on something that can readily KILL you like a ventless gas fireplace! You also might investigate direct vent models while you are doing your research for a new unit. They don't have the hazards associated with ventless, especially the air quality issues.

o

Thank you Chibimimi and GreenDesigns. I'll take a look at the unit you kindly suggested. As for the direct vent models, I am exploring that possibility.

o

The site below shows the Monessen. Also, you really don't need a hearth with a gas stove. The shallow one you see in the pic could be set into the floor so that the floor level never changes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insert

o

Ventless fireplaces for those who like to live on the edge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ventless Fireplaces

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here