Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Popcorn ceiling cracked between foyer/dining room

Posted by donnasophia (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 19:31

My solution to popcorn ceiling with crack between the foyer & dining room. Scrapped off popcorn and designed faux tray ceiling. The first layer consisted of 12 inches of plywood around edges of both rooms, with the area between the rooms completely filled in. Next, drywall about 7 inches of sheetrock all around the edges of both rooms (and another layer over the area between each room), like a reverse wedding cake. The result being the look of two seperate trays.
After arguing with hubby and contractor, that my detailed instructions would never work, I said "ok just do whatever you want". Hubby left, then contractor went to lunch. Before I left, I left him a note, "After rethinking this, I've decided to stick to my original plan." Viola, got just what I wanted, they ate crow. Are there any contractors left that will do what you want without arguing?
I did all the painting and made my own stencils. I used plaster for a 3D look.
First picture is Foyer

This post was edited by donnasophia on Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 11:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Popcorn ceiling cracked between foyer/dining room

Foyer

o

Dining room. Added medallion. The two areas where the light fixtures are hanging, are the only areas that you can see, where the popcorn was removed. The rest of the ceiling was covered.

This post was edited by donnasophia on Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 17:38

o

The crack in the ceiling (between sheetrock) was in the white area. It gave me a reason to get rid of the popcorn and add architectural interest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here