Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement Entry Door

Posted by trailrunner_rockies (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 19:26

I need to replace my entry door before it gets any colder outside! ProVia doors are out of my price range. The local companies I trust sell Therma-Tru and Paragon doors. What experiences have you had with these doors, and for my dry high-desert (hot days cold nights) climate, would you suggest fiberglass or steel? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement Entry Door

I've just been talking to door guys. Steel dents, fiberglass doesn't.

o

While I am not in your climate I have 2 therma-tru doors and am very happy with them. In my case they help to keep out the cold and once stained they look a lot like wood. Have been mistaken for wood by a couple of contractors.

Abbey

o

I had Provia double doors and one side light installed for $5500 including the Emteck hardware. My contractor wouldn't guarantee any other door.

o

I went with an insulated steel door becuase it was in my budget and fiberglass was not. Either way that was the single biggest improvement I have ever made to my house. That old wood door leaked air like nobody's business and was like a heater in summer time.

o

Just my personal opinion, but I don't care for steel doors. One tap of my fingernails and I can tell if a door is steel. It just seems too cold and industrial for a residence, plus they dent. Although if that's what your budget requires, I'm sure they're fine. They look fine as long as you don't touch them, and I think they're secure, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here