Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seashine

Where do your young children sleep/play?

seashine
10 years ago

I'm trying to sort out who sleeps where. This is the space I have available:
Main floor:
1 small bedroom very near kitchen/dining and bathroom. (bright and light)
1 larger bedroom very near kitchen/dining and bathroom.
Daylight basement:
1 medium bedroom (darker and quieter)
1 large family room (darker and quieter)
Our sleep needs consist of sleeping space for me and my husband, 2 under 5 yr olds in same room, guest space for grandparents.
I had been planning on having the Main Floor bedrooms be used as bedrooms for us and using the daylight basement spaces as a guestroom/office and a family room/playroom. Recently, a number of people have said that it will be years before the children will play anywhere I am not and suggested we use the daylight basement spaces as a master and children's bedrooms and use the Main Floor rooms as a playroom and guest room.
Has anyone had a similar layout and what worked/didn't for you? How have your children's needs for space changed over time?

Comments (5)

• worthy
    10 years ago

It has been a few years, but three of our four children played largely wherever their mother or their computer was located. The fourth preferred the solitude of his own room from day one.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Try out your original plan and see how it works.

The kids won't be under 5 for long. My 5 year old is often near me, but can also be found in the back yard or his room or someone else's room. The kids are mobile or will be soon. They won't have any trouble getting to where they want to play. And the toys won't stay in the play room!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Our house is a split foyer, with one bedroom upstairs and two downstairs; kitchen and living room upstairs and family room downstairs. When our twins were little, we all had bedrooms downstairs, and the boys tended to play... all over the house! I recall them playing in our walk-in closet, under the dining table, in a cardboard box in the living room...

When they were 5 or 6, they wanted their own rooms, so we moved our bedroom upstairs, and they each had a bedroom downstairs.

One doesn't want to rearrange bedroom furniture monthly, but no decision you make now is permanent.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

What are your children's current temperament?

Personally, I'd probably sleep downstairs (with them too) and put your guest room in the smaller bedroom/office and play room upstairs where you'll be... If your layout sounds like it sounds, and IF you'll be upstairs a lot.

If you see yourself downstairs watching TV or something then my answer would change.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    10 years ago

Two additional points to consider:
    1 - During the day and into the evening the kitchen and adjacent rooms tend to be the center of household activity. Do you want yourself and your kids in the middle of the activity, or do you want your guests there? We have found it best to have the guest area separate so they can have privacy and quiet when needed, and they can follow different sleep schedules. For example, its hard to take an afternoon nap (or put an infant down for a nap) or go to bed early in a bedroom right next to the center of activity.
    2 - Do you expect any guests to have mobility issues? A bedroom and bath with handicapped/ADA access may be very important for some guests. Going up and down stairs or using a bathroom tub that is hard to get into can be an issue. For a guest who requires a wheelchair there may be no choice but to use a 1st floor room.

Bruce