Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storm door

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 19:04

I want a storm door, but my measurements for the entry are 34" X 81". This is not a standard size. Plus I want retractable screen and the color green. I found a 34"X80" from Chamber Doors and this is how it describes the size:

"Fits Door Opening 33-3/4" to 34-5/8"W x 79-3/4" to 80-5/8"H"

Will this work for me? What about the gap at the top? I think it will be ok on the sides, hopefully whoever installs it can make the necessary tweaks; but not sure at the top. Will it even be something to worry about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storm door

If you can have the gap at the bottom, you could attach a weather seal to give you the rest on one side. If it looks funny at the front, attach a metal piece (or another weather strip. The other option might be to special order, but you will probably have to pay twice as much, and there are no returns or exchanges.

o

Add a 1" thick piece of hard wood(like oak, ash, or maple to the inside top of the door opening---making the height 80 inches.

The trim on the storm will cover that wood piece. Just predrill pilot holes for the screws used in that top piece.

o

handymac, I thought about adding a strip of wood, but wasn't sure. Not that I'll be doing the installation but if the person doing it doesn't think of adding the piece I'll suggest it. thanks.

drywall, you got that right. A couple years ago I was quoted a $700 estimate for a custom door in the style and type I wanted. ugh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here