Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolitis

venting hood in older remodel

carolitis
11 years ago

We are remodeling a 40 year old rental condo where kitchen is on an inside wall and on the top floor under the attic..We are remodeling the kitchen took out the soffits to add better cabinets. The previous ducting of the hood ran through the upper cabinet into soffit and then joined with building duct there that also serves one unit below and vents to the roof. We have checked to see it does vent to the roof.When we bought unit, all vent pieces were there but apart,a small kitchen fire had occurred and a lot of soot came out a kitchen ceiling air vent and the fan and air vent of bath beside kitchen as well as into the insulation above in the attic and in kitchen soffit and wall. We can not be sure all hood ducting was well connected at the time as we only have the pieces.

We are remodeling everything. We have removed the kitchen soffits altogether to put better cabinets in, I hate to hook a range hood up through a new white cabinet and connect it that way to the shared duct that goes out the roof.

Try to visualize. Asking about the possibility and how to do this. The hoods can be vented out the back -vertically but usually are done to the outside.Cannot the vertical vents connect to building duct work? The 2 of those ducts (one of which I would connect to at some point are both just behind the range and inches from where the hood would go into wall vertically. these ducts pipes are both oblong about 9 1/2wide X 2 1/2-3" deep between the same 2x4s in wall where hood wood connect. One problem is that the hood vents usually connect to the front of these and in the small wall space no way could do so right there even if right adapter could be found unless connected at the thin side part. To get venting done vertically and up and past the limited space because of framing I would need to continue up with a more 3 1/4" X 10' vent pipe into attic then connect to flat side of the vent pipes. There are adapters to use at the end when you connect and become round. But I can see no reference to anything like this being done. So if it can can -tell me how. If not allowed I'd like to have some reasoning why. I looked at the old 8" round section the was originally connected to the building vent- it is hollow - no damper if one was supposed to be in there. Is it approriate to vent vertically into the wall then up a little then connect to ductwork?

Comment (1)

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

"We are remodeling the kitchen took out the soffits to add better cabinets."

Were the soffits removed to add taller cabinets?

"The previous ducting of the hood ran through the upper cabinet into soffit"

The same soffit removed, or an ajoining section?

"When we bought unit, all vent pieces were there but apart,a small kitchen fire had occurred and a lot of soot came out a kitchen ceiling air vent and the fan and air vent of bath beside kitchen as well as into the insulation above in the attic and in kitchen soffit and wall. We can not be sure all hood ducting was well connected at the time as we only have the pieces."

And you have been using it for how long disconected, venting where?

"I hate to hook a range hood up through a new white cabinet and connect it that way to the shared duct that goes out the roof."

Would this violate your CC&R's
    "The hoods can be vented out the back -vertically but usually are done to the outside."

Depending upon the appliance, most have the option of rear or top discharge.

"Cannot the vertical vents connect to building duct work?"

You just said you did not want to do that.

"The 2 of those ducts (one of which I would connect to at some point are both just behind the range and inches from where the hood would go into wall vertically. these ducts pipes are both oblong about 9 1/2wide X 2 1/2-3" deep between the same 2x4s in wall where hood wood connect."

You had previously stated that the hood had been connected thru the cabinets to a common building duct. Is one of these that ducting or are they comfort heating duct?

"One problem is that the hood vents usually connect to the front of these and in the small wall space no way could do so right there even if right adapter could be found unless connected at the thin side part. To get venting done vertically and up and past the limited space because of framing I would need to continue up with a more 3 1/4" X 10' vent pipe into attic then connect to flat side of the vent pipes. There are adapters to use at the end when you connect and become round."

Find a local hvac fabricator to fabricate an adapter for you.Hopfully, they can clear up some of your misconseption.

"no damper if one was supposed to be in there."

Appliance ducting dampers usually occur near the appliance.