Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_o

Contractor Disupute, Help!

mark_o
14 years ago

We are at the end of our Addition/Remodel of our Home. We had an informal agreement (not a formal contract) that was initialed at the beginning. This is a >$200,000 job, and has taken longer than anybody thought.

At the beginning of the project, the contractor begin excavating BEFORE the permit was issued. He then had to wait 6-8 weeks before proceeding, but during that time it rained, and his forms collapsed. I didn't see him do anything to protect from rain. In my opinion he was negiligent. He asked for additional money, at that time (beginning of project), but I told him I thought it was his fault, and I wouldn't pay such a large sum extra at the beginning of the project (We almost fired him then). I told him he could possibly take an advance on upcoming work to help, but I wouldn't pay for his mistakes.

Now we are near the end of the project, and he has created a few more financial problems along the way. He left for three weeks, and had a sub-contractor supervise. On his return he told me that the sub-contractor spent way over his alloted budget, etc.... Mismanagement on his part.

Now we are at the end of the project. I am witholding $2000 until he completes all tasks.. He hasn't done anything in 2 weeks, and is acting strange. Today he called me and told me I needed to pay for the collapse of the forms at the BEGINNING of the project. He says it cost him $9000 and I should pay at least half.

It feels like he is trying to make up for many mismanagement issues that he caused on the way. I'd just want this project to wrap up quickly, but it doesn't seem like thats going to happen.

Any tips, or words of advice?

Should I just fire him now, and try to finish using this $2000 overhead that I keep?

Should I just tell him to finish it, without any additional money?

Comments (5)