Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage conversion -ceiling beams

Posted by old87green (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 18:29

We have a 1990s suburban home wiht attached garage, that we're now going to make into a game room. First step is to finish the walls -drywall, paint etc. WE were going to put in a ceiling too, but H believes that if we simply painted the exposed ceiling beams/studs, we'd get a nice urban look and save money along the way.
We're going to do an epoxy floor, and lots of storage cabinets - along wiht pool table, TV and sofa.

I'm having a hard time picturing the ceiling. Has anyone done anything similar or have pictures to share?

(Also posted in garage forum)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage conversion -ceiling beams

Describe the roof structure or ceiling structure if there is a room above the garage.

You will probably be required to insulate the walls and perhaps the roof or ceiling

o

Congratulations on your project. You asked specificially about ceiling treatment, but there are also a host of other issues to convert an "exterior" space to a habitable one. Here's some thoughts about garage conversions:

Floor slab: Is it solid with no cracks? Is it at house finish floor level or are you OK with a step down? Is it insulated below the slab and on stem walls? Are you in a climatic zone where winter coldness is a factor for the concrete slab? If so, floating a floor on sleepers (with insulation) above the top of the slab is an option.

Walls: Will additional sealing of cracks and insulation be needed? Will new gyp board and trim be needed in some areas?

Ceiling and roof: What sort of roof structure do you have? How will you insulate and vent the roof to prevent heat loss and moisture condensation/mold? You will likely be better served to have some sort of seperation between the habitable space below and the insulation/moisture barrier above which is usually not very visually attractive (what a ceiling usually does). Although I hate the look of a suspended ceiling, it may offer one inexpensive option for a new ceiling if the existing roof joists or trusses have uneven bottoms.

Systems: How will you heat and cool the new space? Will you need to run new HVAC ducts, control wiring etc.? Will you need new electrical circuits, controls and a secondary panel? Need water and drainage?

I'm sure you have thought through all of this, so pardon me if this is redundant. Good luck!

o

I don't really know what you are trying to do. I don't know how the garage roof is constructed or what the climate is so I'm having just as hard a time as you are.

You ask for pictures to share but you don't offer any.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here