Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Mixing light brown flooring w/white cabinetry--other shades??

loves2read
9 years ago

We are doing master bath remodel in vacation house.
We have to replace the flooring and chose another luxury vinyl plank floor that is light brown with kind of limed/rustic look.
We want to use white cabinetry that will match the white trim/doors--
cabinetry will have some door fronts w/bead board inset and some that are just Shaker style--more of those than the bead board...
so bathroom has somewhat cottage/traditional but not formal look...
want to use shiny chrome or nickel (my husband's pref) for fixtures and hardware...

We have been looking at tile--wanted white subway for shower stall and maybe front of pony wall for shower stall--and want a decorative mosaic tile for accent trim and maybe inside the niche and for backsplash...
We have not found ANY mosaic we like that blends a true white w/ivory/beige or brown and a third color...hopefully a blue...
this is going in house on FL gulf coast and would like to have a "beach" feel...

Went to Dal Tile today and found maybe 1 accent tile--
looked online at Ann Sacks, Emser, Arizona Tile, and couple of mfg from looking on Houzz--but looking online is not great for the "true" colors...
and there just aren't that many possibles from what I have found anyway...

If anyone has good suggestion for website or specific tiles let me know...
And I have been reading Maria Killiam's site about choosing colors...
I know if I have a true white and a cream/beige I have to have a balance to make a pleasing room...
Can I add more brown (for the floor tone) into the room's palate by using things like towels? maybe sconces w/rattan shade vs glass?--
and not worry about using a cream/tan w/the tile???
My husband doesn't want to use ORB hardware which would reference the brown of the floors--

Or maybe use a more creamy granite for countertops -- sometimes Kashmire White can have the gold/tan highlights w/o getting a more tan stone...
but the vanity in this bath is not in same area as the shower--so the tile and vanity wouldn't be seen at same time...

Comments (5)

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

I have been reading Maria's blog for about 4-5 years and I'm confident that she would strongly discourage you from accent tile. I'm also certain she would say that bathrooms should be all white (you can add/change color by painting walls) and that wood floors are neutral, like jeans and you don't need to worry about coordinating with wood floors unless they're a "bossy" finish.

If you want variety in your tile, I think Maria would advise you to use "ceramic architecture." Which I think is shown in this photo, if I understand correctly...

Here is a link that might be useful: Maria's favorite bathrooms

• loves2read
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I read the article about ceramic architectural and how some people abuse the term/concept...
    I even emailed her secretary about having an on-line consult--but an hour of her time was a little steep--I don't think my husband would see the value in it...
    I don't want to use Cesarstone or a man-made countertop--and any granite you use (marble is too hard to maintain IMO) is going to have some other traces of color...maybe a limestone if we seal it well might work but granite is about bullet-proof IMO...

Thanks for the reminder--at least I know my LVT is the right wood tone--not too dark or light...

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

I'm a huge fan of Maria's and think she's saved me a ton of money by teaching me about undertones through her blog writing. She's not a fan of granite at all. Here's a link about countertops. It was written when she redid her kitchen, but her white on white method applies to bathrooms and kitchens alike. We've had quartz countertops in our for 8 years and they look the same today as they did when we had them installed; I wouldn't rule out quartz yet...

Here is a link that might be useful: Maria's countertop

• loves2read
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know what she likes--and Jeff from Flipping Out loves quartz--and other decorators like Candace Olsen--
    but I don't like quartz--
    it isn't plastic but reminds me of plastic/acrylic. Just don't think I would be happy with it

thanks for the response

• llcp93
    9 years ago

I don't know how large of an accent area you are speaking of, but mother of pearl tile comes in almost pure white to beiges and tan, to hues of blue.

My bathroom remodel is about to get underway. It is all ordered and demo date set. It's mostly Torreon Travertine, My sinks, tub, baseboards and doors are white. I am adding a mother of pearl tiny brick laid tile to the face of my built in shower bench. It is white with tan. I bought samples from Tilebar.com
    I chose mini brick oyster white. You can read the reviews and see photos of the customers who used the product. We ordered several color samples of the pearl tile and chose this one for our project. It runs $17.99 a sf sheet.
    Good Luck