Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
framing a partition in a garage

Posted by davidlouie (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 2, 09 at 17:42

Hi

I need to frame a section of my garage to make a room for a furnace.
This is a 40 year old garage attached to house on a concrete slab.

1) A neighbour warned me to leave a space between the top plate of the new partiton and the finished ceiling to allow for movement. The climate is hot summers and down to -20-25 in winter as the min. Do I have to worry about this?

2) what would be the best way to attach the top plate then

3) To attach the sole plate ( pressure treated wood) to the concrete would you reccomend a Hilti gun? or other means?
3) what kind of nails for the sole plate?

thanks

David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: framing a partition in a garage

Personally, I use a hammer drill and TapCon screws to fasten bottom plates to concrete. I have a powder actuated nailer, but just find the TapCons easier.

If you fasten two walls to an existing garage wall, there really is no need to fasten the top plates---unless your local codes require it.

You will need air inlets in the walls unless the furnace is electric.

o

I can't imagine why the ceiling would move more than the wall would unless the ceiling is attached to a truss.

o

The movement in question isn't lateral, but rather load from above,(live load). Unless you have a second story or finished attic above the garage, I would think a floating top plate would be unneccesary.

o

I would frame the wall on the floor (end nailing the plates) but let it be about a half inch short, then tip it up and install it in the normal manner top and bottom, then not screw the drywall to the top plate of the wall and install wall-ceiling trim with a small reveal at the ceiling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here