Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Door to a Toilet Compartment - In or Out?

Posted by jmcn608 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 2, 10 at 17:25

Our new toilet compartment as planned is 36"x60". Should the 30" door swing in or out? Can we use a smaller door?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Door to a Toilet Compartment - In or Out?

There has been discussion of a danger with in-swing doors. If someone faints inside the toilet room and falls near the door, you may not be able to get in to aid them without breaking down the door.

Unless the toilet room is large enough for a handicapped person to swing a wheelchair around inside it, you probably don't need a 36" door.

o

We rented a vacation house that had a toilet room with a swing-in door. I found it awkward to open the door, step into the small space, then try to close the door again from inside the room without hitting myself with the door. Of course, that toilet enclosure was just way too small anyway -- my knees were uncomfortably close to the wall in front of the toilet.

Personally, my first choice would be a pocket door, followed by a door that swings out.

o

We have a water closet in our master that is about 3' x 5'. It has a normal (30"?) interior door that swings out. Swinging in would be quite awkward.

o

For all my doors, GC recommended inside for bathrooms because you don't want to open the door outwards and slam into someone's face. However, it looks like your toilet compartment is small, and it maybe uncomfortable to have it open inside. Can you do one that swings both ways? In any case, if the toilet is inside your bathroom or in an area where you will not have a lot of traffic, chances of slamming the door into someone are low.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here