Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
horribell

Advice needed on shingles

horribell
11 years ago

Last Fall my husband and I bought a "fixer upper" on a 1 acre wooded lot as our first home. The square footage was perfect, the house just needs a lot of TLC. I had about 100 different exterior projects I wanted to tackle in the first year, but alas, the 30-year-old roof had other plans for us. This weekend DH and I are going out to pick an architectural shingle and for the life of me I can't decide what color to go with. Currently, the house has a warm, dark brown T1 11 exterior and the roof color.... is hard to tell because there's moss growing on it lol. We also have 5 skylights that I look forward to upgrading. Despite the rustic appearance, I have very modern taste and plan on eventually putting stone pavers on the front and siding on the rest of the house. It may be 2 or 3 years until we can do that, so I want shingles that will look nice with the T1 11 and I can match to the roof when the time comes.

You'll notice that the outside is a real mess... We spent a good chunk of the summer tearing up the 150ft of front yard installing water lines to switch from well to public. Next Spring we'll be putting down a fresh layer of topsoil and planting grass (hooray!). The rest of the landscaping will come in bits and pieces and once we have the stone pavers I'll be putting some nice shrubs in the front. So what do you guys think about the roof? What color architectural shingles would look nice with brown?

Comments (3)