Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brobb56

no permit on room additions

brobb56
9 years ago

We just bought a mobile home with some room additions. We started calling handymen to fix some things and out of the blue we get a letter stating the county had received a complaint for room additions that had no permits. We just bought the place. I just assumed the additions were permitted. I am to call the inspector and I am really scared. I don't know what to do or say or expect. We live in Larimer county Colorado

Comments (16)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

This is something you should have checked for in your due dilligence before the purchase. Did you have a realtor represent you? What type of disclosure statements did the previous owner issue? Did you ask about the additions specifically? Was a bank appraisal done for financing? Was there any financing? What would the value of the property be if you were forced to remove the additions?

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Well, you won't really know what their attitude is until you talk to the inspector. If it were me, I'd try to meet in person, and explain what you just said about having recently bought the place, assuming everything was permitted, and that you had nothing to do with the unpermitted additions. Then I'd ask what the best way to proceed is that won't destroy half your investment. If you're nice, they may be willing to work with you to resolve this. It will also help a lot if you have the answers to the questions posed above by hollysprings, which will tell if you have any legal recourse against the seller.

Also, it's a little strange that this is just coming up now. Have you p.o.'ed any of your new neighbors?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I'd call my lawyer before I'd speak to any government official or let any government official on my property. This is an adversarial relationship, don't forget.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I'm always amazed when someone says, "I'd call my lawyer ... " or "call your lawyer ... " like it is as easy as picking up the phone and calling a friend. Am I the only one who doesn't have a lawyer on permanent retainer?

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

I would expect that they didn't get permites because permanantly affixed additions are not allowed to mobile homes because they are not considered real property. They will most likely be required to be demolished.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

GreenDesigns;

Not necessarily.

It depends upon the zoning and how and what was sold.

I can direct you to two residential lots in the city of Lynwood, Ca. with mobil homes, axles removed and set on CMU foundations.

jellytoast;

It's not so much about having an attny. on retainer, and a lot of contractors do, as a business practice, especially those involved in the commercial contracting end, but, and without having knowledge of the sales documents, the advise could be prudent, because it would take that kind of action to ascertain, who and how the complaint was instigated.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I'm always amazed at people catapulting themselves in like a projectile missile with worst case scenarios, like demolishing the place, with little to no information or a poor photograph.

Since you just bought, if there are, in fact, serious consequences, maybe you can revoke the sale or file for damages.

There is a mobile home park around here that has a lot of permanent type dwellings with additions and such that look like small houses. Has anyone else in the community done that? I would think the authorities would have been all over them during construction if it were a fundamental violation in your locale.

I would simply respond to the complaint and see what they say about it before employing a lawyer. Just state facts, like you just bought and what do you need to do now to comply. Then I might call the real estate agent who sold you the place. Start at the beginning before panicking.

• AlfredWong
    9 years ago

First you find all rules and regulation for room addition in your house.
    Talk to your your attorney about remodeling and adding room to your home. Talk to your real state agent who tell you about your problem.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

I can't imagine how it would hurt to talk with the inspector to find out what the nature of the complaint and proposed remedy is. For many towns the primary concern is unpaid permit fees, a situation relatively easy to remedy. If they want something more extreme then legal advice is probably warranted, many of the possibilities have been outlined. While it's fun to speculate, its probably more productive to work with data, so talk to the inspector and find out what they have in mind. Then you can formulate a response to the actual rather than imagined situation.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I wouldnt run out and get an attorney just yet. Meet with the inspector and see what he says.

Was there full disclosure at the sale? Was it a short sale or foreclosure? Wait and see what the inspector says your options are before getting an attorney.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"I can't imagine how it would hurt to talk with the inspector to find out what the nature of the complaint and proposed remedy is."

Let me help you with your imagination. It's called a "red tag" or a stop work order. I've seen the friendly building inspector disallow 2nd floor framing that he approved in writing on the plans. Unlike when a speed limit sign says "35 MPH", the law is what the inspector says it is on the day he says it.

MIght you get lucky? Sure, but if I'm gonna get in a gun fight, I'd like to make sure I've got ammunition beforehand. You buy ammo at your lawyer's office.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

The work is done. So, what is this inspector going to say to the new owner that he won't say to their lawyer about this citation? What harm is there in obtaining details first? Is a lawyer going to scare the inspector into some sort of submission?

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

And..............where ia the OP?

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

snoonyb-
    I was wondering the same. Maybe we scared him off, or the permit people are really tough and put him in the hoosgow!

• annaship1
    9 years ago

My recommendation is that under no circumstances do you allow the county inspector to come into your property. You were probably turned in by a disgruntled neighbor who had a beef with the prior owners. It wouldn't hurt to call and ask about what the issue is, but once you allow them on to your property, they can issue a citation or require you to remove/disassemble whatever isn't permitted. If an inspector knocks on your door, do NOT let him or her in. They can get a warrant if they really want to enter. They likely won't go to that trouble, and it will buy you time to consult with an attorney, if needed.

• cindywhitall
    9 years ago

The prior owners may have known the additions were a problem and that could be why they decided to move. They dumped the problem on an unsuspecting buyer.

Hopefully, there is a trail showing the complaints filed before the purchase, then there would be recourse against the sellers. IF you can find them, and IF they haven't hidden or spent the $$.