Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llckll_gw

Very high level renovation costs...

llckll
10 years ago

Hi All,

I sent this list of things I would like to do to my current contractor and another contractor. My contractor said he estimates it to cost $175k. The new guy said all can be done around $200k. Again, both estimates include extending to the side but we will not be doing that.

- extending the house to the back about 20 feet. May or may not want to extend the side of the house by 2-3 feet. We're leaning more towards just extending to the back to keep the cost lower.

- redoing our detached one car garage to match the rest of the house.

-extending the house to the back includes the basement and attic extension. We would like to dig the basement deeper as well to have more headroom, and creating a french drain system to prevent flooding.

-gut renovation which includes new insulation, drywall, hardwood floors (1st and 2nd floor only. Basement and attic will be carpet), electrical, plumbing, 2-zone hvac, converting wood burning fireplace to gas, creating a laundry room on the second floor as the laundry is currently in the basement.

- relocation of kitchen, relocation of first floor half bathroom, adding new full bath in the basement, adding a master suite to our bedroom, creating a separate entrance to the attic in the hallway (currently, the entrance is in a bedroom).

- new siding and roofing.

- new driveway pavement and landscaping.

- new windows and a coupe french doors at the back of the house in the kitchen.

What is your experience with this scope of work? Can all this be done with approximately $200k?

Comments (18)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Where are you located?

I'd say if you have 2 guys saying 200k, then about 200k (better account for cost overruns) is probably right. Better plan on at least 220k though.

• cblanco75
    10 years ago

I would like your contractor to come work for me...

I am doing a 24x24 addition, with mid level finishes and a kitchen reno. The addition has a 6'6" basement, a LR, bath, and BR. We are matching siding and roof (not replacing). The small kitchen Reno (13'x10') is using laminate counter tops and we are doing laminate flooring throughout (4 kids and a dog). Total cost is just shy of 100K. Oh and I am doing all the flooring work myself...

I would agree with the above poster that you better make sure you go over that contract and prints with a fine tooth comb. I would assume 300-350 at least with mid level finishes.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Your numbers are way too low for reality unless this is a DIY project and that's materials only and you don't mind taking 3 years to do it.

Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.

• llckll
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's for the reality check, ya'll.

My wife wants to move instead of renovating because she doesn't like our location anyway.

I'll keep these costs in mind if we ever wanted to do a big renovation.

• redeemed763
    10 years ago

Good to hear that you are planning on nixing it. When you want to do a full house gutting, unless the place is already destroyed, you are just about always better off just selling it and starting fresh. This is simply because you paid for all that stuff that you are gutting and it is going to be trash; someone else would happily pay for it if it were all installed in your home as it is today.

• LoPay
    10 years ago

We resided with LP Smartside, replaced all of our windows, replaced our front door, and fixed our garage door header. Total cost was around 60k.

We are now half way through a kitchen renovation that is costing 60K. We didn't move any plumbing, walls, doors or windows in the kitchen. New tile floors, custom cabinets, quartz counter tops. We did not do any of the work our selves.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

You can buy a brand new house for $200k why redo that one? Just asking.

• Fori
    10 years ago

A new house for $200k? Maybe in parts of Alabama. Not many other places.

• karle13
    10 years ago

We are currently doing a total renovation of a 3100 sq ft house! New kitchen, hardwood floors,all floors,plumbing, electric , heating and air conditioner and walls and insulation! And a new laundry room and bathroom! It is down to the studs!!We love the neighborhood , perfect location and our corner lot! The house is 57 years old! It did have a brand new roof and garage doors lol!! It's costing us $170!! We are in Maryland , after reading this post ,we feel really good about our cost!! It's been 6 weeks, and the walls are going up next week! We are renting an apartment for another 6 weeks then we are moving in, hoping most will be done!! Please cross your fingers and toes that they move right along!!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I'd be really happy if I could do all that for $170 too :-)

• llckll
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lot of good advice here but different opinions.

Some of you say that it will cost $300k+ while someone else is doing it all for $170k.

Two of my guys said it can be done for $175k - $200k.

I guess the location is important too. I live in Bergen County, NJ which is one of the more expensive areas to live.
    But a lot of good info... Thx.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I live in the also-expensive Bay Area. Here's what I'm getting done for about $150,000 - Bathroom no. 1 - new shower, shower head and valve/trim, tiled shower floor and walls (fairly pricey tile), new vanity, vanity top, sinks, mirrors, lights, and faucets. Bathroom no. 2 - new tub, shower head and tub faucet/diverter/valve trim, tiled walls (fairly pricey tile), new vanity, vanity top, sink, mirror, lights and faucets, New kitchen - 11' against the wall plus 10' island, with all new fairly high-end (but not super-high end) appliances, new mid-range cabinets, Ceasarstone counters. New walls to enclose open area to create master bedroom, master closet, area outside master bath for another small closet. Plumbing as needed in connection with renovations of bathrooms and kitchen. Electric as needed in connection with renovations of bathrooms and kitchen, plus addition of some lights and switches. Sprinkler work (8 sprinkler heads either new or relocated). Paint throughout 2100 square foot condo.

I don't see how you can do what you're planning for less than $300-400K.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Sorry, but I'm almost speechless!

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Here's a good link to compare costs on a national and regional basis. Note that these projects are from actual contractors, not back alley handymen. So, from a national average perspective, you'll see that 200K will barely cover the kitchens and baths, much less the major alterations needed to move them somewhere other than their current location.

Major Midrange Kitchen Remodel: $53,931

(emphasis added is mine, as they are using a lot of entry level products to be calling it a mid grade remodel.)

Update an outmoded 200-square-foot kitchen with a functional layout of 30 linear feet of semi-custom wood cabinets, including a 3-by-5-foot island; laminate countertops; and standard double-tub stainless-steel sink with standard single-lever faucet. Include energy-efficient wall oven, cooktop, ventilation system, built-in microwave, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and custom lighting. Add new resilient flooring (vinyl). Finish with painted walls, trim, and ceiling.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Cost vs Value: Home, Compare Data Tool

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

No offense but I'm glad I live where I do.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I'll agree that it is good that two people have come in the same range, but it does seem light for the amount of work being done. Even karle13's example of 170K did not include an addition, front/rear landscaping, driveway, and a deeper and expanded basement. Is the kitchen being redone completely as well?

What level of allowances is this including (are appliances, HVAC systems, etc)? In the last 18 months, I've done foundation work, front yard landscaping, new wood windows throughout, new HVAC, a new EIK kitchen (taking down a wall), and gutted and remodeled family room. Already that is cresting over 150K, with a mid-high level of finish and no added square footage.

This post was edited by gooster on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 12:40

• harryrancic
    10 years ago

when I got some renovation I make sure I got the right info on your contractor - like looking for a roofer

Here is a link that might be useful: sample roofing contractor

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax