Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drew592_gw

How would you vent this cooktop?

drew592
11 years ago

Learned a lot about venting cooktops by searching on the forum - thanks for a lot of great info.

However, our remodel presents a job I haven't seen discussed before. The foto shows the current setup; we'll be refacing the cabinets, changing appliances etc. The venting situation is currently weak at best (recirc through microwave) and I'd like to improve it if possible, with a caveat being I'd prefer not to use the downdraft vent option.

The cooktop is on an interior wall in a kitchen with a 12 foot ceiling, where the wall does not go up the entire height (note 2' - 3' gap shown in foto). There is a channel that runs along the top of the wall but it's only 9" or so from the wall in depth, which means there's very little room for a chimney stack to come up since many of them have 8" ducts and have a total of 12" - 15" depth in the flue extension (please forgive me if I do a poor job of describing). I also don't think it would look good to have the exhaust ducting running on up into the ceiling.

I don't want to duct into the wall and down since that would mean a 180* curve to get the exhaust into the basement and then another 90* turn to direct it towards an outside vent.

In fact, can you even vent into the wall and down or is that just too much of an engineering challenge and/or load to put on a fan?

Anyhoo, I do have a remodel professional taking a look at it later this week but I'm looking for ideas to bounce off him. Quite frankly I'm stumped but I don't do this kind of thing for a living so that doesn't say too much.

TIA

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts