Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Do I need an architect and a whole new roof for addition?

Fori
11 years ago

We are considering a single room addition onto a one story not-very-tall '50s ranch. The house has a crawlspace (though I would love a basement under the addition I just don't see that happening). Do I need an architect or is it something a draftsperson can handle? The roof line will be somewhat challenging but the rest should be straightforward. (I even have HVAC outside where the addition will be!) (Okay we might want to upgrade that.)

On a related topic, we replaced the shake roof when we moved in last year. Is it a big deal to integrate a new roof into an older one? Does the whole affected face of the roof have to come off or can they just tuck flashing and shingles and stuff in where needed?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• User
    11 years ago

With a simple addition an experienced builder with in house draftsperson maybe can handle drawing the plans. It depends on a few issues with the existing home as to how much structural engineering needs to happen, and it also depends a lot on your location and documents needed for permits. Some areas are going to require an architect no matter what. If the wall you are expanding through is load bearing, I'd also want an engineer's report of the best and least intrusive way to handle the transition of the spaces.

As far as the roof goes, if these are real cedar shakes, then with the UV exposure they've had, the new won't match the old, so you'll have that issue. If they are faux, then they'll probably match since the new roof hasn't been in place that long. In either case, flashing or ice and water shield cannot be attached properly without removing a few courses of shingles where the roofs join. If this is to be a valley, you'll have to remove a lot more than if this were a continuation of an existing plane.

• Fori
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks--I didn't think about what would be required for permits but in my town I'm guessing I'll need everything conceivable. :/

The shakes are cedar but judging by neighborhood roof repairs, they seem to weather to a close enough match pretty fast in this climate. I think we will need a whole new gable due to weird angles in the existing roof.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

The need for an architect hinges more on whether you want a full set of design drawings to bid, the level of design sophistication you want and if you want professional oversight during construction.

• Fori
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Um...so do I want those things? How does one know if it's necessary? If one has a decent GC, should the GC know if it's needed?

• kai615
    11 years ago

I would start by calling a builder with a good reputation and someone who has a draftperson inhouse as hollysprings suggested. My hubby and I did a much larger addition, two stories, part on top of an existing structure. We had to make a second roof line up with the first. My brother in law helped us with the build , not a company, just him. My husband did the drawing, they built it together. My husband has drafting experience and plenty experience in autocad and my brother in law is a very experienced builder, but there was absolutely no need for anyone to call an architect.

One room sounds pretty simple, unless there is something over-dramatic you are looking for, I am sure a competent builder can handle it. I am not sure about the permit thing where you are, but whoever you contact first will know right off the bat and will be able to recommend someone if you need to hire one anyway. They will probably have one they work with often if that is the case anyhow.

Good luck.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Well, you've received a variety of advice. I wonder:

--If you have blurry vision, a tooth ache or heart palpitations do you need an optician, dentist or cardiologist?
    --If you have auto breakdown, leaky roof or non-working applicances do you need a garage, roofer or applicance repair person?

Everything seems simple at first, until the actual investigation and work begins. Without experienced professional help who knows what surprises and unexpected things may happen?

Only you know the answer and only you have the responsibility for your decision.

This forum is full of threads asking for suggestions and help mid-way through a building process. Good luck!

• Fori
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kali. That seems like a reasonable approach. I don't want anything too dramatic but we will need to be creative with the roof to avoid some awkward angles and to integrate it properly into the existing home.

Mr. Carter, I appreciate the response but I don't quite get your point. Are you suggesting I use a professional for this project? If so, I agree, and that is why I am trying to determine what sort of professional I need. If I didn't want a professionally built legal addition, I would not have torn down the one that was present when I purchased the home. :) I don't know the scope of these professions.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

I wish there was a simple, clear answer as to whether or not you need an architect or engineer, or whether a general contractor could handle your situation.

It all depends on what you want and need. If design and aesthetics are important; if there are complexities or uncertainties about the exterior appearance (such as a complex roof) and/or the options for interior existing and new layouts; if there are questions about HVAC, water/plumbing, electrical, sanitary/soil lines--then you may need a design professional such as an architect. In other words, if you feel that there may be a lot analysis, review of options and you have some very special concerns or requirements, then you need professional design advice from an architect or experienced house designer.

On the other hand, if everything is reasonably clear and simple; if needs, wants and existing conditions are visible and understandable, then an experience builder could probably respond to your situation.

Another option is an experienced, residential remodel design-build firm which has in-house design and construction expertise.

Have you checked with your jurisdiction to see what kinds of permits, drawings and approvals may be needed for your project? It's possible that your local jurisdiction has requirements as to who is required to perform services mandated by the jurisdiction. I'd contact them ASAP for this info, if you haven't already. Good luck with your project!

• Fori
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the followup. I think I'll start with a call to city hall. :)