Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellic_gw

Where to find less expensive door knobs

KelliC
10 years ago

My house was built in 2004 and was a rental/forclosure before me. The brass door knobs have seen better days. I wanted to replace the door knobs and hinges with nickel or chrome instead. I replaced my front and garage doors with satin chrome handles. Now I have 3 locking interior doors, and 4 non-locking interior doors to outfit with knobs and hinges. I also have a pocket door, and 2 sets of closet doors. I'm not too worried about the closets, but the other 6 and the pocket add up rather quickly. Is there a place that someone may be selling their older doorknobs or where I can buy less expensive ones? I've been looking at Menards and Home Depot mostly and they are really expensive. Or if you're redoing your home and want to send them to me instead of throwing them out.. :)

This post was edited by KelliC on Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 17:35

Comments (15)

• bpollen
    10 years ago

I ran across some by accident at a salvage yard, when I was looking for something else. They had a couple of buckets full of old doorknobs. One thing to be wary of, though, on old knobs is that sometimes they are for old doors with a different mechanism...they don't fit newer doors.

For example, I got some beautiful glass door knobs, but I can't put them in my doors. Maybe if I hired someone who knew how to make them work, but then that defeats the purpose of getting them cheap at a salvage yard. I've thought that when I have time, I might fit them into a board and hang it on the wall as a coat hook hangar thing.

It's possible I just lucked out, when I found them, and that salvage yards don't usually have knobs. But I went to a second salvage shop that was nicer (it had nice antique salvaged doors), I think that second shop also had some knobs.

If you're not in a hurry, Lowe's & HD also run storewide sales, which would be a good time to buy anything. Black Friday comes to mind. These stores might also price match, if you can find a better price on, say, Amazon for the same knob.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

What is "really expensive" and what brand are you looking at? It's pretty relative, but in reality you can't get much cheaper in price than the lower price points offered at home depot.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The cheapest ones I've found are $25 each, which adds up to $150 for only 6 doors, plus the hinges, plus another $20 for the pocket door locking handle, which is of course not in store. I didn't know if there was a place where you could get a discount for buying a lot at once? I planned on staking out the black friday sales. The only downside is that some of them are actually breaking now, so I have to replace them soonish. I'm hoping they hold out for the next month.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Not all are pictured in the right finish but these come up as "chromes" and "privacy"

Here is a link that might be useful: Handlesets.com

• homebound
    10 years ago

There are cheaper ones at HD & Lowes. Take a closer look in-store and online.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Kwikset Tylo at HD or Lowes should be in the $10-$15 range and they would be about the least expensive I have seen except for possible a Chinese import that you buy online.

• pinsey
    10 years ago

Hi Kelli C........... our home in 85 years old. We have purchased many, many items on Amazon.com. Just type in what you're looking for and you'll come up with every company that sells it. We saw VERY expensive lighting fixtures at Restoration Hardware (high end store here in the Twin Cities). We then went to Amazon, typed in the name.... and voila..... got the SAME fixture for 65% off direct from the manufacturer.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I bought a bunch of Schlage chrome doorknobs on Amazon.com and Handlesets.com. Very satisfied with both purchases. But they still came out around $20-25 per set, which was about 50% off Home Depot prices.

I'm in Canada so shipping and duty make things pricey here, but I still shop a lot online.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

Try ebay. We bought brand new satin nickel interior door knob sets for around $8-10 each.

• EATREALFOOD
    10 years ago

Try your local lumber yard. Since you are buying a large qty ask them to knock off some $$ for paying cash.

• EATREALFOOD
    10 years ago

Try your local lumber yard. Since you are buying a large qty ask them to knock off some $$ for paying cash.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Or, buy metal paint and "refinish" what you already have.

• CT_Newbie
    10 years ago

Pinsey, how did you figure out who was the manufacture of the RH lights? I just bought a bathroom fixture and pendants from RH during their 30% off lighting sale. We might need one or two more items. Do you have to find the product in the store and look for something inside it with the name on it?

Thanks

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kirkhall, I did refinish the hinges, but besides being ugly most of the doorknobs don't really work anymore. I found a lot on Amazon for $5 - $10 each, so I ordered them. They should be here this week!

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Well done!