Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
innaymartin

Backsplash

innaymartin
11 years ago

We are in the last step in "remodeling" our kitchen. But we are stuck... We spent 2 weeks trying to choose backsplash. We got one, brought it home and set it on the wall and it looks too busy. So we returned it. Now we finally picked up creama marble 3x6 tile but can not decide how to put it on the wall.

NEED some opinions and advices ! PLEASE, HELP !!!

Comments (18)

• innaymartin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

At this link there are designs of backsplash we can not choose. Please, look and tell you opinion. Also you can see there pictures of the kitchen before and after and also all the steps we did

Here is a link that might be useful: fkickr

• renovator8
    11 years ago

Why not the same as the counter top?

• innaymartin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We bought some samples of the mosaic very close to the #2 of handymac suggestion. But when we put on the wall it looks too busy. My ideal backsplash would be not busy so when people walk in the kitchen the backsplash does not catch the attention (I want granite and cabinets keep the attention). But at the same time I don't want for the backsplash to be too flat and too simple.
    I like the design #1 of handymac suggestion but I think it will make the kitchen too dark. My kitchen is not big, the cabinets are dark and the granite is not light either so I want to go with light backsplash.

• innaymartin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We decided to put the line in the middle. But we had to put something else to make 18" tall so we don't need to cut each brick on the top. So we are going to put those strips you see on the picture. They look lighter in person than they are on the picture as well as the marble bricks.
    The only choice left to make is what pattern make the bricks.
    We are thinking about subway style, stack bond style or just random. Any advices?

• homebound
    11 years ago

I suggest subway tile, plain and simple - no line (too busy). If anything, make a tile "frame" above the stove, but think that through carefully if so.

It will look great, esp. when the undercab lights are shining on the countertop.

• innaymartin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I agree with you, Homebound, I like just subway tile and no line. My idea was just make brownish grouts to make it more interesting. But my husband WANTS that line and he is the one putting the back splash on the wall. Plus we already cut all the pieces for the line so we can not return it back.

• innaymartin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We finally started putting the backsplash. I like the way it looks on the wall. But I am NOT sure about that line. Plus my husband want to move the outlets from the center to the top or bottom of the backsplash so they are not in the center of attention and not on the way of the line :(
    He wants the outlets to be on the top row of the backsplash so you can not see it unless you sit or look under the cabinets. I want to move them on the bottom row so there will not be cords from the coffemaker, toaster, can opener etc showing out from the top of the backsplash all the way to the bottom.
    Which way to go ? We still can take a couple of the bottom row bricks If we will put the outlets on the bottom row.
    And what about the line?

• innaymartin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just to compare This is BEFORE

• innaymartin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and AFTER

• innaymartin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BEFORE on another side of the kitchen

• innaymartin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And AFTER

• innaymartin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think we did pretty well for the budget. So far we spent 7K on everything - brand new stainless steel appliances ( french door refrigerator, slide-in gas range, extra quiet stainless inside and out dishwasher, top mount microwave), granite counter-tops and the windowsill, paint and varnish for the cabinets, stainless steel door pulls, new 16 gauge sink and faucet.

• homebound
    11 years ago

He's going to move the outlets now?? It's a bit late for that. Besides, they're at the proper height.

• innaymartin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well. He decided to move them on the top row. When I saw he is going to do that I thought it's better to have them on the bottom than on the top so the cords will not be appearing through the backsplash. He said he can take 2 bricks from the bottom row. So I guess it's time for a new decisions...
    Honestly I am sick of all of these decisions - I made too many decisions for the last 3 weeks (specially when my decisions are not the same as my hubby's)

• innaymartin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe I can convince him on this kind of line... Is this one better than the big one we were talking before?

• innaymartin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also with what color of grout should we go?

• annac54
    11 years ago

We used a very similar tile for our backsplash. We raised up the outlets and turned them sideways. See below for the link to pictures posted on the kitchen forum. We used a medium brown grout because we liked seeing the pattern of the tiles. If you want a more homogenous look, use a lighter grout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble tile backsplash

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH