Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marstar_gw

My first remodel

marstar
13 years ago

I just finished remodeling a 10 x 13 room and need advice before I move on to the next rooms in a couple of days. I want to make sure I am doing the right thing. The room looks beautiful, but I want to make sure I am not overpaying for the work. I am in Los Angeles.

I hired 2 handymen to do the following:

1)remove popcorn (looked like it came off easy)

2)remove textured orange peel walls

3)add crown and base moulding and casing around one window and door

4)install hardwood floors (which I am now hearing popping noises since install yesterday, that is a whole other question)

They told me it would cost $1600 for 5 days of work. What bothered me is that they would lock the door a lot, they told me I would ruin what they were working on if I were to just walk in. That didn't leave a good impression on me, this is the reason why I am asking you for help. They told me it would take 5 days and it took exactly that amount of time (I am paying them per hour per guy). I am also hearing a lot of popping noises coming from that room, I can only think its from hardwood floors and hope not a ghost on this halloween weekend lol. It's popped about 5 times since the install yesterday, the house sits on a raised foundation and it rained all night if that information helps.

Let me know what you think and what the average price for something like this. I have only received quotes from General Contractors, but didn't compare with handymen.

Thank you!

Comments (3)