Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decor8for2

DIY Double door ?

decor8for2
14 years ago

I'm not quite sure where to post this but I hope someone can help me. I have a small pantry in my kitchen (47" wide by 24" deep) and it currently has two sets of bi-fold door that I really, really dislike and would like to replace.

Since the space is 47" wide with NO possible way to make it wider to accomodate a standard 48" set of french doors, I am looking for a way to take 2 - 16" slab doors from a set of six panel bi-folds and make them into double hung doors??? that would both swing out to make a 32" opening. I could then re-frame and drywall the excess opening.

My only other option would be a custom which will be well over $500.00 for a pantry door, and sadly I do not live in a $500.00 pantry door neighborhood...LOL

Any suggestion would be appreciated :0)

Cindy

Comments (6)

• weedyacres
    14 years ago

I agree. Shaving down the doors would be much simpler. You do need to make sure they're solid (like pine), not hollow-core doors.

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

You need to ask yourself if this is something that you are comfortable with doing. Hanging pre-hungs is one thing, hanging doors, setting jambs, scribing to fit is another animal. If you dont feel confident, you might consider a finish carpenter's help, you purchasing the materials. You would only need him/her for the labor of ripping the doors down, setting the jambs, hanging them, etc. You could install the hardware and finish,(paint or staining/sealer).

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

I could be wrong but I seem to recall Home Depot being able to special order pre framed double doors. The one I considered in fact was for a 48" wide opening and consisted of 2 - 6 panel hollow core pre-primed doors. As I recall the price was not much more than two single doors. Since it comes in a frame it may not be hard to install in your opening. Bring your meausrement (width and height to HD and they can help you out. At worst I would think the price may be a liitle more for a special width...but I doubt it would be $500.

Of course you could frame in and add a single 36" or 32" door for about $70 as well...but that drywalling and all makes it a more messy project.

• decor8for2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for everyones help. I have gone to HD and Lowes both and because the way the pantry was built I would need to frame in the sides anyway and the only door they could do was 2 18" smooth luan double hung for 464.00, or a set of 5 lite bi-folds for 363.00. I'll go back this morning and try one more time though. Otherwise, since I am in a anti bi-fold frame of mind if they can't get the door I need I am going to spend the $42.00 on the 6 panel bi-folds, frame in the opening to 36" (drywall is not a problem since we are in gutted kitchen mode anyway) and try to hand the doors with the non mortised hinges. For $42.00 it's worth a try :o)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

When someone suggested ripping down two doors, my first thought was that you probably had drywall returns that would need to be replaced. Since you're back to the studs anyway it wouldn't be that hard to hand trim the opening and use two regular doors as suggested. By using 1/2" stock for your trim, you'd gain another 1/2 inch in opening width too. Leaving you very little to rip off the four edges of those doors. Just make sure everything is plumb and square.

Laying out and mortising for the hinges requires a bit of exactness and patience but it isn't hard. All you really need is a sharp chisel or two. You can even make a story stick to help with the layout.