Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
norkat

Doors, Windows and Trim, Oh My

Norkat
9 years ago

I am replacing and/or installing new doors, closet doors and base moulding in my 1950s ranch. I had natural fir windows put in several years ago, and they�re beautiful. The floor is natural oak and will stay the same. The doors are the typical 50s yellow hollow-core and do not have trim.

My question is about color of the new materials. I�m thinking about going for a dove white to brighten things up, but would that be strange if the windows were natural fir and all other doors and trim were white?

Should I just continue w/ the natural fir on the doors, closets and trim? It is a nice look. Or does someone have a recommendation for a mix of tones that works? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• zagut
    9 years ago

Do what your heart desires.

Unless what others say matters to you over what you want and like.

If that's the case then only do what others want and live with that.

• Norkat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope putting forth the effort to write a condescending non-answer helped you in some way. But then I'm always thinking about others.

• justretired
    9 years ago

Hi Norkat

I have seen some lovely examples of painted trim along with stained. Suggest you take your question over to the Home Decorating Forum. there are some awesome people over there who will help you with your question. When you get there search the forum for pictures of stained/painted trim combos.

Good luck with your project. I am currently painting all of our trim and new doors BM Dove White. It is a LOT of work but I think white trim looks so fresh and clean. FWIW, I think you can combine paint/stain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorating Forum

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

About six years ago, I replaced ALL my trim, molding, baseboards, etc with paint grade poplar and painted it Dove White. It seems like miles of trim :). I also had the old original birch, hollow-core doors. I chose to replace all my doors with new 6-panel MFD doors and painted them also. Purchased them pre-hung. I don't remember the exact price (less thatn $100) but the MFD doors can be purchased quite cheaply at HD, Lowes, or other building supply stores. Some might frown on that, but I really, really don't care that they aren't wood - they LOOK nice:).

Let me add that my trim was just not worth salvaging - it was beat and banged up basic ranch trim, thirty five years old, turned an ugly yellow - I wanted something with a little more character. I added some nice fluted casing in open doorways which really dressed things up.

That left me with fairly nice pine windows which I was going to leave natural. After doing all the other woodwork in nice fresh white, my windows just looked like black holes (did not have blinds at the time). I ended up cleaning and lightly sanding them and painted them also. It was a rather tedious job, but so glad I did.

Having said all that, I would recommend painting everything but the windows in the pretty Dove White. Then, if you don't like the looks, you can always paint them last. Your fir windows will probably look much better than my pine - plus, window treatments and rods and other furnishing in the room makes a difference.

Let us know what you do.