Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace copper weather stripping for door?

Posted by quandary (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 13:57

Our house was built in 1964 and has copper weather stripping around all exterior doors. We plan to replace a door soon. Is superior weather stripping available now to justify removing this old copper stuff?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace copper weather stripping for door?

Is is most likely bronze and does a decent job.

There are newer seals available, but it is unlikely to be worth tearing out otherwise functional seals.

Try 'Resource Conservation Technology' in Baltimore, MD for all sorts of door and window seals.

o

I have replaced that kind of copper(have seen the brass as well) weather stripping with new stuff of the same type---to satisfy the home owners desire to remain period compliant.

The latest design that would be the best replacement would entail the removal of the doorstop section of the jamb and cutting a 1/2" deep dado in the stop(or replacement stop) to allow the rubber weather stripping to be installed in that slot.

That also would mean the door stop would have to be relocated and the jamb refinished/repainted.

The new rubber collapsable weather stripping is much more energy efficient as well as maintenance free(other than an occasional cleaning if needed). The major problem with the copper type is getting clothing snagged and tearing the metal. And it can be noisy in high winds.

The other nail on types of weather stripping are less functional than the copper, IMHO.

o

While it would be good to improve the efficiency, I don't think I'm up to the task of replacing it. In the 19 years we've lived here, it's never required any maintenance (that I'm aware of) nor have we snagged anything on it. I think I'll just leave well enough alone.

Thanks for the information!

o

Why does it need replacing? Perhaps you can just bend it back out to make greater contact with the door.

o

It seems to be in good shape. I'm planning to replace the door and just assumed that 1964 weather stripping should be replaced. I thought that there were probably superior products available now, but I don't want to get into a complex replacement project if what I have now is adequate.

o

I made the mistatke of taking off the copper stripping and now cannot find any to replace it. Anybody know where I can purchase it?

o

Do a search for "spring bronze door weatherstripping" and hundreds of sites will come up.

Ace hardware even lists it.

o

I would leave it if it is good shape.

As Brickeyee said, it does a good job and can last forever unlike the newer stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here