Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can You Put New Roof on Top of Old One?

Posted by shw001 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 11 at 13:08

Is it OK to put a membrane roof (EPDM, TPO, or PVC) over an existing old flat metal roof (tin). The roof is flat (pitch 1/8 inch per foot). I have a bid from a contractor who recommends leaving old metal roof in place and covering it with a membrane. He would use rigid insulation and/or some type of sheathing board as a separator. Is this installation OK?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can You Put New Roof on Top of Old One?

Yes, according to the EPDM Roofing Association.

o
Clarification

Too quick on the "post" button. Roofing over is acceptable, but the pitch still remains a problem.

o

The pitch is only 1/8 inch per foot, which is OK for PVC, but I am not sure about EPDM. One roofer recommended roofing over (with a separator of either rigid insulation or sheathing). Another contractor said the manufacturers would not warantee material in a roof over. (I think there are more opinions than there are contractors).

o

One roofer recommended roofing over (with a separator of either rigid insulation or sheathing)

Yes, it can be done. And the slope can be increased by tapering the insulation.

Another contractor said the manufacturers would not warantee material in a roof over.

Though the trade association of EPDM manufacturers specifically says it's okay....

Instead of taking any contractor's word as gospel, Google up the manufacturer's tech information or give their technical department a toll-free call.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here