Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davis_jones

Undermount Tub - Granite Surround

Davis Jones
10 years ago

I found this photo in Houzz and it illustrates fairly well the deck that has been built for our tub. Am curious how this is possible to support the granite (or marble). Like our deck the front edge is 6 inches wide with the other 3 sides being very narrow. Curious what is supportign the stone given how narrow the edges are. Thx

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to tub

Comments (7)

• worthy
    10 years ago

Dimensional framing--that is, 2x whatever--topped by 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4" ply.

This post was edited by worthy on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 18:26

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Worthy, thx... what do you then use to hide the plywood, etc from view ( since granite will then be well above the tub.. assuming plywood is now above the tub edging)? Good chance for me to learn something and greatly appreciated.

• User
    10 years ago

The framing is the same height as the tub. The granite slab then installs straight over it all, framing and the lip of the tub.

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Then plywood etc won't offer any help. Deck presently has 2 x 3's around 3 sides and a 2 x 6 on front edge. I just don't see how there is enough deck to support the granite with only a 2.5 inch frame around 3 sides unless it is permissible for the tub to also be supporting the granite.

• Davis Jones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Snoony,

Thx.. to make sure I am understanding correctly it sounds, in layman's terms, you are adding support material (wood or metal) that will rest directly under the flat surface of the tub (The kallista Small Perfect has a flat edge but it is hollow so any cleat would nee to be slightly offset from deck edge to allow cleat to fit flush against flat underside).

If I am correct the cleat offers additional support to the tub lip that will keep it form flexing. When granite slab is mounted on top with the sealant, it will be supported by both the wood of deck and the cleat supported tub edge. Is this correct?

Thx again... tomorrow will be a busy day with contractor and several trips to select a different tile and back in opposite direction to return drain fixtures and figure out some billing issues. Am learning I really do not enjoy these projects but do appreciate the willingness of the people here to help out. While I trust my contractor I also believe in trust.. but verify. Just not sure to what degree his experience lies in under mounting tubs. I know my experience is nil but also know when to ask for help :)

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Your 2nd paragraph is correct and I cleat all four sides, minus the area for the waste and overflow.
    With the tub set, and before I set the front skirt, I insert metal wedges, those used in setting hammer heads on new handles, under the tub feet if necessary.

There is a downside to my methods. I don't get invited to dinner, but I also don't need to do warranty work.