Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pricing on new load bearing wall beams

Posted by mickimax (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 07 at 12:40

Id like some good price guesses from you construction guys out there. I know that price differs greatly due to a variety of circumstances, so if I can get some "ball-park" figures only, Id be happy.

Im opening up three interior load-bearing walls in my house. I will work with a structural engineer and qualified professional to remove the present wood studs and put in new support beams (either wood, composite, or steel) and new support, if needed, properly to the basement floor to support the new beams and altered loads.

Im learning a lot about structural support, so want to do all that I can correctly to prevent my house from falling down. Thus said, how much does a support beam cost? If the contractor quotes me $50 a foot or $500 for a 12 foot wood beam is that a good quote? I understand it all depends on material, etc., but would like to begin working on my budget and would like to know about how much the materials will cost me. Should I expect to pay $100 for a 10 foot beam or $1,000?

I live in Iowa so my labor costs I am familiar with. It is the materials costs I am concerned with now, as I cant find any pricing information on the Internet.

Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pricing on new load bearing wall beams

If your project has been calc'd out by your engineer and has the various sizes, make a list and present them to local suppliers. They will give you free quotes.

If you dont have them spec'd, you will have to eventually, so maybe get a takeoff from your engineer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here