Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dag63

Replacement entry door

dag63
9 years ago

We just replaced our garage doors with woodgrain, craftsman style steel doors from Clopay. Now we are trying to find a matching fiberglass front entry door with sidelights. We like the entry door from Clopay, especially the glass (and we're very picky about the glass), but it's priced a little high ($7500). We have a bid for a Provia door for about the same amount, but don't really like the glass options. I haven't priced a ThermaTru yet, but I'm not sure that their craftsman-style doors will fit (reportedly 36" when our door is only 34").

Questions: 1) Does Clopay make a good front door? 2) Is it worth $7500? 3) Recommendations for any other options?

Thanks, in advance, for any answers.

Comments (3)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I don't know about the Clopay brand, but I do have views on spending $7500 for a front door even with sidelights: Shop around some more!. In my area -- an expensive metropolitan area -- I would still be able to find you a quality front door and sidelight combination for thousands less. How much have you shopped around, or do you live in an area that has limited selection due to few dealers?

• dag63
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for replying, kudzu9. I also live in a major metropolitan (i.e., high cost) area.

The main driver of the cost seems to be the decorative glass - 1/4 panel on the door and full length sidelights. With only clear glass the price would be at least $1000 less. I received a similar quote for a Provia door, but we didn't like the glass selections. I could get a Home Depot Feather River door for about $4000 (I don't remember if that was with clear or decorative glass), but I was warned by many on this website to stay away from Feather River.

I think we will end up going with Clopay, because we love the glass and the stain matches the new Clopay garage doors. I've managed to knock the price down to $7000 with 0% financing over 12 months. I know it's a lot (and a lot more than I expected to pay for a door), but it's also the right look and an investment in our house.

• banzaiengr
    9 years ago

Your door sounds beautiful. Just wanted to post that we put in a Feather River fiberglass front entry door, medium oak with large ornate glass and sidelight to match six years ago. It faces the east and looks as new as the day we put it in. We just checked into a full glass double french/garden door in our upstairs that opens up onto a screened deck. For an Anderson it would be $3000.00. We also needed to replace a full glass with one glass sidelight door for our walk out basement. A thermatru fiberglass ran $2600. I went to HD a few weeks ago and the fiberglass Feather River french/garden door along with the full glass one sidelight basement door came to $2600 for both. They were on sale, 20 % off. The neighborhood we live in has medium priced homes. I couldn't see spending twice as much on the doors so went with Feather River. Then with the $3000 we saved we got CHI carriage house steel with the dark oak wood look garage doors with hardware and windows, 2 new openers and key pads for $2900! Hope all goes well when we get all of them in.