Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jllc7_gw

Contractor Issues- how to handle?

jllc7
11 years ago

I've been reading many similar situations on here and believe my last resort should be withholding payment until the general contractor resolves the issues. But at what stage do you start withholding payment and what's a reasonable reason to do so?

I really like our GC and his subcontractors, however, they damaged our hardwood floors in multiple rooms throughout the home. Subcontractors have told him that they covered the floors while removing the wall separating the kitchen and dining rooms. They also stated that they did not drag our furniture across the floors in the bedrooms in order to punch holes for electric.

I've reminded our GC that I work from home 2-3 days per week and that I witnessed them doing so. I initially sent him an email containing photos and did not receive a response. I followed up with a second email, still no response. My husband called him and he asked to call back later, never calling him back. Earlier this week, he had to come over for another reason, so we basically cornered him and demanded a solution. He apologized and said that he has not been ignoring us, just overwhelmed with other contracts.

Another issue I have is with our paint colors. He toured our home multiple times before we signed the contract. He was well aware that we have a colorful home and told us that he could color match each room. Nothing in our contract states a limit on colors. Now he is stating that we have a limit of four color options in order to not waste paint. We picked 6 colors, sent them and he responded yesterday saying 4 max. Should I just give in?

We've only submitted the first payment, but another is due this upcoming week.

Comment (1)