Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
springplanter

what is best backing for backsplash?

springplanter
10 years ago

We are renovating kitchen which includes a backsplash wall of 10' x 5' behind stove and counters. i had planned to install drywall to the 36" height and then 1/2 inch hardibacker above for the tile installation.

Contractor says that they use "green" drywall (same as in basements and bathrooms) and it will be as good as hardibacker

Any opinions?

Many thanks

Comments (11)

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

You can tile over regular dry wall - prime it first. No need for that green board.

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

I would always use cement board or some other waterproof material (like a full mud job) under tile. It's cheap insurance against having to re-do all the tile if the wall gets wet. Green board is not much better than plain drywall, I wouldn't use either under tile, I've seen way too much tile put on drywall that is now falling off. The difference in cost is trivial in the context of most kitchen or bathroom projects.

• Socalpb
    10 years ago

Drywall plus grout = best backsplash... Advice from licensed contractor

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom Remodeling in Los Angeles

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

Just put the drywall all the way up and tile right over it with thinset or even mastic. It's not a wet area, so no further wall prep is needed. Hardibacker is only needed on floors or in wet areas like showers.

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

Ever wonder why they call it a backsplash? Cause it gets splashed, and therefore wet, at least if you use your kitchen very seriously. For perhaps $50 difference in doing a whole room you can have a solid substrate vs one that falls apart. Don't even get me started on mastic. I had a 20 year old house where every single tile fell off the wall in three bathrooms and the kitchen with the lightest touch because of the failed wonder adhesive.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

It takes very many years for a drywall backer board in a shower stall to deteriorate due to frequent soaking of the tile joints under poor drying conditions and even then it happens in the lower part of the wall not the upper part. In a kitchen gypsum backer board would not deteriorate unless you sealed the room and hosed it down several times a day.

Using the proper adhesive is another matter and often independent of the backer board choice.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

It takes very many years for a drywall backer board in a shower stall to deteriorate due to frequent soaking of the tile joints under poor drying conditions and even then it happens in the lower part of the wall not the upper part. In a kitchen gypsum backer board would not deteriorate unless you sealed the room and hosed it down several times a day.

Using the proper adhesive is another matter and often independent of the backer board choice.

• pangionedevelopers
    10 years ago

Hello
    You will get many different responses BC there are many different ways to approach this scenario

Cement board of all types and or green and standard drywall can all be used.
    If you are installing around an extremely wet area such as a shower or tub then you go with cement board. A Kitchen sink is not an area to worry about

Pangione Developers Inc

Here is a link that might be useful: Bergen County Contractors

• mag77
    10 years ago

Your contractor is full of it. Green board is NOT equivelent to backer board. Tile should never be installed over sheetrock or greenboard unless in a completely dry area, and installers that take pride in their work will insist on backer board in all situations. Your own plan is good, but begin the backer board six inches or so below counter height to avoid a seam at that point. Beyond your question, I'd like to add one more thing - the penalty for using green board under tile in a shower should be death by hanging.

• springplanter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many thanks to all who responded. We have agreed to go with the hardibacker

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz