Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Raising ceiling...not a good idea?

rockybird
9 years ago

I have a mcm home built in 1958. I am thinking that raising the ceiling is not a good idea, especially since I put a new foam roof on last year. The trusses go out towards the pool, perpendicular to the glass. I think they are spaced around every 18" or 24" apart, which might look busy. I am also not sure that the trusses running out under the patio may interfere with the round poles, which are bolted into the fascia. I think the poles may be strucutural. I spoke with a contractor about it and we agreed that it is not worth gaining a foot of ceiling space for this house. I would not do it for the bedrooms, but for the open areas (kitchen/dr/lr/den area). I am wondering if anyone else thinks it is doable?

Here is a pic of my patio (landscaping and pool remodel underway):

Pic of Neutra Troxell house...I wonder if they raised this ceiling also.

Comments (9)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I would not, especially at this point. I think the time to have seriously investigated that was when the kitchen and living area were gutted and before the roof was done..
    I also think it would change the essential character of the house.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Don't you touch that house! :P

Why do you want to raise it, anyway?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think what you mean would be to raise the roof in between the trusses and while not completely exposing the trusses encase them like deep beams?

The problem is that anything that runs in the ceiling would need to be rerouted and in a slab house I would imagine there is a lot of stuff up there. And not all of it may be amenable to re-routing. A house like this (well, almost any house I think) looks cleaner with a lower ceiling that's flat rather than one that's raised but has chases or soffits or other obstructions. This is what I think would happen in an "after the fact" ceiling raising, as opposed to one designed and built with a higher or exposed truss ceiling.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I am just trying to consider every single option before I do the final remodel.

I think that is right, Pamplisest. The ctr. said we would have to basically rip the roof off and raise it for part of the house to allow for insulation. He says we could probably rebuild it so it isnt visible from the exterior, but he doesnt think it's a good idea. He also said we would need to think about what to do with the wiring.

There already are some massive soffits. He said we could run the ducts on top of the house to diminish those if I leave the ceiling as is. I am in favor of this.

I also dont think it's a good idea to raise the ceiling, but I just want to review all of my options. I am already redoing some parts of the remodel, and I dont want to have regrets about it again...

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

sure would be a lot of work to gain a foot of
    ceiling height.

best of luck

• maxmillion_gw
    9 years ago

I don't have anything to add about the feasibility of raising the ceiling, but I wanted to say your house is beautiful!

• lisadlu
    9 years ago

Rockybird - Looks like your in the Coachella Valley? So am I and I love the look of your home! :)

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Your home is amazing. I agree that messing with the roof line might change the character of the exterior. And that would be a shame.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the compliments on the house. :)

lisadlu-it is in AZ, but I go to Palm Springs quite a bit as my father has a place there. The mcm homes in PS are awesome!

I decided not to mess with the roof. I also decided not to run the ac ducts on top of the roof. But I might add a ma bedroom/bath addition at one end of the house that is in keeping with the architecture. It would not be visible from the road.