Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Install exterior door in brick wall?

Posted by jmcl (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 9, 08 at 10:44

How do I go about cutting the brick to install an exterior door? I want to utilize some of my master closet which is 7x17 to provide a small half bath (2.5 x 7) for our pool area. My house is a one story with a brick exterior. I believe the outside wall is approximately 9 feet tall. I am very comfortable with all the plumbing and framing, however cutting and installing an exterior door goes a little above my expertise. Any help would be very much appreciated. If I decide to hire a contractor how much should I expect it to cost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Install exterior door in brick wall?

I would hire a reputable masonry pro because outside of the saw cutting, a steel lintel will have to be let in at the top or header of the door and typically is not a diy project. Make sure the masons you get estimates for provide and have experience with saw cutting. Most do. As far as costs, no guess here. Get several estimates and check references as well as their work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here