Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diy2013_gw

Cathedral ceiling installing new ridge beam

DIY2013
10 years ago

Hello all!

I am in the design phase of remodeling a ceiling in my house to a vaulted or cathedral style. I hired a structural engineer and the plans have been drawn up. I need to install a ridge beam and sister the existing joists. My question is - What is the best way to install this new ridge beam? Do I support both sides with temporary supports and cut the existing joists to make room for the beam? I would have to most likely cut out some rafters to even get the beam up there but I am guessing do not cut all of them until the beam is in place? How should I sister up the joists? Any help or a link to a site that actually shows this with the steps would be helpful. I have searched but could only find installing it in a new build which does not really help. Thanks!

I added one page of the plans(the most helpful).
In thinking it over the plan would be to support both sides about 6 feet from the center and cut the existing 2X6 joists to fit the beam in. There is a ridge vent that may allow me to slide the beam in that way and then secure the existing joists to it/sister and attach new joists. The part that is throwing me off is - When do I put in the LALLY columns? Do I put them in before sliding the beam in having only the bottoms attached? Or should I support the beam temporarily on each end and then install the LALLY columns after the beam is in place?

This post was edited by DIY2013 on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 7:27

Comments (18)

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Lets see the plans.

• mag77
    10 years ago

You're in way over your head. There are far too many variables, details and hazards in a job like this to be able to advise how to do it correctly and safely from a distance.

• User
    10 years ago

If you will be cutting joists before the ridge beam is in place the tops of the walls must be stabilized. We need more information.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"You're in way over your head."

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our winner.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

We already assumed what you added.

Now, how about something really helpfull, a section.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

DIY2013:

I consider myself a responsible poster here and although I may have been a bit flippant, I am very serious about my assessment of your abilities based on your questions.

I am a licensed Michigan Residential Builder and am awaiting administrative approval of my Florida Building Contractors license.

You are in over your head. This is not a job for a DIY, particularly you. I mean no offense, but I call 'em as I see 'em.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

And without MEANINGFUL plans, you are asking for a guess.
    Which is what you got.

So, insert the other foot in your mouth and go away.

• mag77
    10 years ago

DIY: " I am not in over my head"

Yes, you most certainly are. You don't even know what questions to ask. I'm sorry if the truth offends you, but my intent is to keep you from breaking your neck. Installing a structural ridge beam in existing framing is a risky, difficult job for the best of carpenters. Now, in anger, you've made a second post with half-baked instructions that are practically guaranteed to get somebody killed.

• User
    10 years ago

Having questions about a project with the potential lethality of yours is a good thing! Knowledge is always a good thing to seek to gain. However, knowledge and experience are two different things. Even if you find a zillion internet resources that tell you how to cook meth, you can bet that there are more than a few out there who create a toxic mess or have it blow up in their face when they think they understand the instructions.

Bottom line is, you need to have a professional do this portion of your job. And pay attention. And help if he'll let you. (He'll probably charge extra for that training IF he is even open to that!) It's only after you have you've been there in person and helped with a few yourself that you would be qualified to understand the minute details in positioning the supports that make the difference between success and an (denied) insurance claim.

And please don't use the old line, "It's not rocket science," because you're wrong. It IS the same math calculations and knowledge that was needed to send men to the moon. Just at a lower applied level.

There is NO shame in seeking the help of an experienced pro for a job. There's plenty of blame though when a job goes wrong when an amateur attempts to implement a professional's design. With you being at the top of the responsibility list.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

Actually placing the beam will take less than an hour. However, I can see two days of careful prep work (shoring, cutting, temporary walls, staging so you have a place to stand The staging has to be stout enough to support the beam plus the personnel) that will be the key to carrying it out safely and smoothly. You will need at least five guys, and a crane operator if the beam is more than 600 lbs. People power alone isn't practical beyond that weight for sliding the beam into the attic. I still don't know what heights are involved; the taller this is the more complicated, the more compete the prep work must be, and the more dire the consequences of a misstep.
    You don't want to get the ridge up in the space and discover that you forgot some key point. That is where experience comes in. You have to walk before you can run.
    I'll tell you from experience, it's easy to lift a ridge beam up into place between existing rafters. What is almost impossible is _lowering it again_ if you get it too high. Cut you legs a little short, then use leverage and shims to get the final perfect height.
    Casey

• DIY2013
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you sombreuil_mongrel for some positive feedback - Yes I had 6 friends help me lift the beam in place. Since I left the existing ceiling joists in place - to lift the beam was not too bad. Took two lifts up :-). I got the sistered joists in place and have the inspector coming out next Friday to sign off on it. I thought it would take longer and be much harder but it was actually not that bad and quite easy. mag77, snoonyb, and Trebruchet - you really shouldn't post if you having nothing useful to say other than snide remarks, that is not helpful to anyone so don't bother posting at all - I guess I can thank you for your negativity and saying I am in over my head since it motivated me to get the job done and done right for inspection. Have a good one!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

DIY2013:

We disagree as to the usefullness of my comments and I was never snide. I take the rules of the boards on which I post seriously and I've broken none here.

Please let us know if you pass inspection.

• DIY2013
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Inspector came and I got sign off. The only mistake I made was the planning on how long it would take to get the beam and structure in place. I was done last Friday and had to wait for this inspection today. Not a bad mistake but lost a week :-/. Take care.

• User
    10 years ago

When people ask for more information you should not supply it by editing your original post. The edit function is new and there is little reason to go back and read comments again. I could make no sense of your original post and never understood what you were asking. Courtesy goes both ways. You might try following your own advice.

• aidan_m
    10 years ago

You never provided a sectional detail. It would be the one indicated as section A in the drawing you chose to include. That one is the one that is really helpful. The one you consider the most helpful, is not. When the experts you asked for help, asked for this sectional detail, you became beligerant. Your inability to understand the plans in front of you: not providing the sectional detail, led the experts here to conclude that you were in over your head.

The only mistake you made was asking for advice when you already know everything.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

So, you had two "knowledgable" friends do the work and you supervised four other friends, washing your vehicle and defending the pizza and beer.

Oh, did I forget to mention that I can pick up my end of a 6x14x26', carry it 80' around the house, up a 14' ladder and set on top of a 4x6 post, yep, just two of us.

How's that shoe leather tasting.

• mag77
    10 years ago

DIY,

I'm glad your ridge beam is in place, passed inspection, and no one was hurt.

I think you're lucky. You don't seem to understand the loads and forces involved. At one point, you confused joists with rafters. You never asked how to keep the walls from spreading while the weight of the roof is transferred to the ridge beam, which is absolutely critical to safety.

You think I'm snide? Fine. I just didn't want you to have the scars I have or see what I have seen happen to my friends.