Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpollen

New Entry Door hardware - hinges & doorknobs don't match?

bpollen
10 years ago

In getting estimates for a new fiberglass entry door (Therma True and Masonite), I've learned that in order to get rubbed bronze (brown) doorknobs & lock, I have to get matte black hinges. The hinges don't come in bronze. Is this common, do you think? Is it because these are not high end fiberglass doors?

It doesn't show on the outside, but I think that would look odd on the inside, where the hinges are visible. But then, the bronze is so dark, that both the hinges and knobs/locks are dark, so maybe that would be fine.

If I get brushed chrome or satin nickel or brass, the hinges match.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've never bought a door before, and this issue has me stumped. I fully expected all the hardware to match.

Comments (6)

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Who's the vendor?

• bpollen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The big box stores. I had a contractor come by and give a quote; his quote does indicate bronze hinges, but I wonder if he checked on that, when he did the order. I'm not impressed with the quote...doesn't indicate model # or that the doors are to be painted or stained or what.

I'm selling the house, so I don't want to spend a lot of money but do want decent quality doors and nice appearance.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

You are selling so clarify the paint and move on.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

Just spend a few bucks and buy some aftermarket hinges on ebay. They've got every finish you could imagine, in all the iterations of size and corner radius.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay hinges

• bpollen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all your responses & suggestions. Replacement hinges are a possibility...I've never done hinges on a door, so I'm not sure I can handle that. Might be easier to paint the parts that show. But I'll think about that.

I think I'll get the black hinges & either replace or paint them.

As for why I'm replacing the door instead of leaving as is, the door is an eyesore. The entry door is very important, esp for curb appeal. I agree if it were okay, not worth it to upgrade. But it sends a cheap message upon entry to the house, so I'm going to upgrade it to at least something decent and attractive. I have done some research on what might be worth doing to fix up the house for selling it. So I decided to concentrate on the curb appeal, the kitchen, the baths. I'll be doing as much as possible myself, contracting out the things I can't do (like granite countertop....my countertop is chipped & must be replaced, anyway).

Then I'm going to concentrate on de-cluttering, painting everything in sight, and cleaning it until it sparkles, as well as staging. I still remember all the musty smelling houses I encountered when house shopping years ago.

As a footnote, I decided to go with the big box (Lowe's). The contractor, as it turns out, quoted on the wrong doors. So although that contractor was highly recommended on Angie's List, I think my project is too small for him to bother with (altho I am getting TWO doors...the 2nd one is the one to the garage, which doesn't close properly and is also an eyesore).

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll just go with the matte black hinges and either replace them or paint them.