Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ISO Ideas for Removing Exterior Doorway

Posted by Crinkle (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 9:32

We just purchased a brick house built in the 1950's with an exterior door on every side. All these outside doors make for a choppy interior layout. I'm looking for ideas on how to reclaim some of the lost interior space. The ideal approach would be to close up the doorway, but we don't have any matching bricks to close off the exterior opening. I'd love to put up a faux exterior door, and then wall off the interior opening, but I can't seem to find any products for that. I'm looking for ideas or suggestions on how to approach this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ISO Ideas for Removing Exterior Doorway

Where is the door located on the house? Back porch or side could be covered with some exterior storage cabinet or something like that.

o

Going along with 8mpg, you could put a trellis on the outside "patch"; you can train vines up it or not, depending on what the trellis looks like.

o

What about replacing with a window with a contrasting trim below that matches the rest of the house?

This is a bit overly fancy, but something similar:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here