Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Feasible? Install interior insulation and drywall before window?

la_koala
12 years ago

Hi, I'd appreciate the GW opinions on this order of things.

We're doing a gut remodel, and the new window is on order. The original window space was enlarged, so the old window is no longer in place. Right now, a plywood board is screwed into the space.

However, the GC is indicating that he's going to have the interior insulation (fiberglass bats) put in that wall, and the drywall put up before the window arrives. (And then install the window I presume).

Is that order of things feasible?

(While my assumption was that one installs the window first, and then the insulation and then wallboard, etc, I'm not a professional.)

What pitfalls are typically encountered if done in that order?

I don't know how agitated I should be. :-)

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

As long as the opening remains weather tight it can work.

• worthy
    12 years ago

Hopefully, he won't fill the space between the window frame and framing with fiberglass and call it a day. ( Or maybe flashing and foam is still an unrealistic expectation.)

• Billl
    12 years ago

A replacement window is designed to be put in a finished home, so this would basically be the same thing. It wouldn't be the "normal" order for new construction, but there is nothing inherently wrong with it.

If he hasn't done this before, he might want to verify that the inspector is willing to pass framing and insulation inspections with a big hole in the wall still.

• la_koala
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all, thanks for weighing in! You've given me some peace of mind that it isn't a completely crazy thing to do.

Hi brickeyee, your comment about the weather-tightness is spot on. That's exactly what's nagging me in the back of my mind.

Hi worthy, I'm not sure what you mean by "call it a day"--do you mean that after the window is in, that's when he should do extra flashing and foam?

Hi bill, thanks for saying there's nothing inherently wrong with it! That's a great point about replacement windows--I hadn't looked at it that way.

And you bring up a good point about the inspector. The GC has mentioned having the inspector in after the insulation is installed, so it's on his radar.

One good news is that at the end of today, the GC called and said the windows are due to arrive at the end of this week. He's still aiming to do the insulation prior to the end of the week, but maybe will hold off on the drywall until after installing the windows. I'm going to go pray for no rain.

Thanks again!

• worthy
    12 years ago

that's when he should do extra flashing and foam?

Yes. (Though flashing may not be practicable depending on the construction--siding, brick etc.) But definitely a low-expansion foam should be used, not fibreglass, whether it's wrapped in plastic or not.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"inspector is willing to pass framing and insulation inspections"

Framing should not be an issue, insulation might be.

• la_koala
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi worthy, thanks for clarifying that. I'll check with the GC on those details!

Framing should not be an issue, insulation might be.

Hi brickeyee, from something the GC said about the building inspector wanting to see the insulation before he signs off, I think you are right on that point. There's a big push to get all of the rough sign-offs, and the insulation seems to be the key item to complete now. :-)