Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Foundation - how to cover?

robo (z6a)
10 years ago

Hi all,

Previous owners had applied exterior styrofoam to the foundation and left it. I don't know who to call or what the heck to do with it. It is ugly as anything. Had a siding guy out and he wouldn't touch it - told me to tear it off. I'd be into that but husband is not in favor.

Parging is a good option but I can't find it in the yellow pages and honestly don't know who to call. We also have a very wet winter with 100+ freeze thaw cycles a year so that may be why parging isn't popular here. I have a contractor who can handle advanced diy stuff, if only I knew what to ask for, any suggestions??

A closer view. You can kind of see how the logo etc. are in relief on the foam, which makes it harder to cover.

Comments (8)

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ps I know the rest of the front is heartlessly plain too...we are working on it. As budget allows.

• hendricus
    10 years ago

Paint it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foundation coating

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Should I wire brush off the 3d parts? Or cover it? DH was saying maybe like vinyl trellis or something?

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I have no idea how the house was built but I don't think you want to tear the foam off especially if it's continuing below grade.
    Check the link below for more info and scroll down to the discussion "If I insulate on the outside, how should I protect the above-grade foam?"

Here is a link that might be useful: foam

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's like an inch of foam stapled (well, riveted) to the previously existing foundation. I can't imagine it's doing much for the R value of the home, but my husband thinks it is. And he thinks the 60 year old foundation underneath is probably unsightly. In the back we also have an addition I think has ICF foundation -- also uncovered.

• worthy
    10 years ago

The foam is stapled, nailed or screwed on, not riveted.

Anz's authoritative link provides most covering alternatives; and more are explored here.

If you remove the insulation you'll still want to cover the unsightly old foundation, so why not retain the insulation value ?

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the great suggestions. They all sound awesome. Although I didn't know this when I started the thread, I have now figured out what I need is less "what to cover with" and more "who to call." I can't seem to find someone who can do ANY of the options -- and I would settle for almost anything at this point! I'm stumped! Basically I really want to find someone to give $$$$ to to make the blue go away. Who would you recommend I call?

I've asked two GCs and they both sort of don't know, or haven't dealt with this kinda thing before. But I could keep looking?

Here's a closeup of the fastener. I think it's nailed but also has some kind of a backing bracer thingy where it's nailed. It's all very 3d which makes painting seem less lovely of an option. Also the stuff is busting off at the corners.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 15:50

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Let's put another way -- considering the job and a willing-but-unknowledgeable contractor, also considering there's a bunch of windows in the foundation that I guess need to be trimmed out or something (the windows are deep set in the foundation and the foam runs right up to the window frame) -- what's my best option?

* None of the special foundation stuff from styro industries is available in my province.

* Cement board sounds fun, except what to do about corners and trim?

* Metal siding with white aluminum trim for the windows and corners? The siding guys were NOT in favor of this option but maybe that's what my GC is for. If so, would he run fasteners right through the foam into the foundation? Glue it on? Do I dig a trench 6" deep around my house and install siding down below soil line? Am I inviting insects to come live in Robotropolis' Warm Foam Insect Party Haven?

* Or just use surface bonding cement product? I think I'll have to get them to lay it on pretty thick to cover the fasteners and all the 3d parts of the foam. 6" below grade?

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 2:02