Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing Bi-fold doors in non-plumb walls?

Posted by fTownDIY5 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 5:50

Hi! I'm installing bifold doors into a 72"w opening. Turns out the walls aren't plumb - the bottom is about 1.5" further out than the top of the wall. I'm using Johnson Hardware 1601 Series Folding Door Hardware instead of the more common "tracks". I'm trying to figure out if I should make the door casing plumb from top to bottom even though the bottom frame would protrude out 1.5" more than the top of the casing. OR....should I keep the door frame in line with the out-of-plumb wall. It seems like there's a logical answer here but, so far, I'm not getting it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing Bi-fold doors in non-plumb walls?

1.5 inches out of plumb is drastic. You sure about that? Maybe your level got knocked (if that's what you used).

The doors should be plumb so you have to work from that. You might set the top track further into the opening and see if it works at the bottom.

o
oops

My bad - got it backwards. You might be able to set the track toward the FRONT of the opening. (I'm kind of assuming that 1.5" figure is a typo or something.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here