Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
compiler

About remodeling contract

compiler
11 years ago

I have an attic room to be furnished. I have received several quotes but none of them have itemized price. Should I request the contract to be listed itemized materials, labors and price or a total of price is common?

Comments (4)

• User
    11 years ago

You said furnished in asking about a remodeling contract.

Furnishing a room usually means the furniture/accessories that will be put in the room. That is usually done by a decorator and does include an itemized list.

Remodeling usually consists of labor and materials.

Materials are lumber, sheet rock, plywood/OSB, sheet rock compound and tape, paint/primer/wall treatments, flooring materials, electrical wiring/boxes, plumbing, HVAC, doors, windows, and trim materials.

Many contractors will make an itemized list on request as part of the signing of a contract. Many do not include such information on a bid, simply because the process is too involved to spend time for free.

One part of remodeling to remember is there are always unforseen complications even very experienced contractors cannot predict. When I made bids, I always added a percentage(depending on job and cost) to allow for those discoveries. That was an understood part of the bid along with the promise to keep the home owner aware of any of those 'discoveries' and to explain what differences there would be because of the changes.

And, on occasion, a deduction of total cost is no(or few) changes had to be made.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

Lum sum bids are not usually broken down; it only invites sub shopping by the owner. But if the CG's want the work enough they will break it down. About the only thing it helps you know is if one of them missed a major part of the work but that won't happen if you have complete drawings and specs ... you did do that didn't you?

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

What type of contract is it?

--Lump sum, fixed fee?
    --Time and materials, plus contractor OH&P?
    --Other?

Material furnished to the owner all depends on the type of contract. For example, a lump sum, fixed fee is only about the total, bottom-line expense.

You might be better concerned about retainage: how much of the progress and final payments are retained by the owner until final construction is satisfactorily completed?

Good luck on your project!

• renovator8
    11 years ago

A "Lump Sum/Fixed Price" contract would include the Contractor's OH&P in the Sum/Price.

A "Cost of the Work Plus a Fee" contract would include the Contractor's OH&P in the Fee.

A "Time & Materials" contract would include the Contractor's OH&P in the hourly rate.