Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turbo3

Orepac wood core primed doors have a paper veneer!

turbo3
10 years ago

I wish I knew this before ordering about $3000 worth of doors and closets. I bought the doors (Orepac craftsman shaker 3 panel 760) doors via special order at HD. The were sold to me as solid wood. A number of the doors got wet during a recent flood and I found the wet parts started to bubble. When I started digging into the damaged areas I found they have a pressed paper veneer over a wood core. I haven't concluded the core is 100% wood but so far whereever I've scraped up paper I've found wood.

Here's a link to the doors
http://www.orepac.com/imp_interior_primed.html

Here I'm trying to remove the damaged paper veneer to get to the wood core

I'm trying to determine if I can repair the doors but I'm starting to conclude they are hopeless.

Comments (7)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

You will probably find wood stiles and rails and hardboard, or something similar for the cores. On the site I do nto see where they say either solid wood or man made core but my gut would say a primed door that does not state "solid wood" would be made the way your door is. Now if the salesman at HD told you they were solid wood I would not be surprised as most of their sales people leave much to be desired in the way of knowledge especially on millwork which is why I always recommend not purchasing these types of products from them unless you are 100% certain YOU know what your getting and even then........

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

I can't imagine a company would make such junk.

• worthy
    10 years ago

There's nothing wrong with hollow core veneered doors--as long as you're told that's what they are.

Orepac's website is vague. But the "door" page lists four categories distinguishing "interior" doors from stile and rail wood doors. Interior doors come either "hollow" or "solid core." And now we know what's on the surfaces.

Check your order with HD to see if it says solid wood anyplace.

This post was edited by worthy on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 14:32

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

It's as I suspected in my earlier reply, the "solid wood core" is made of short lengths of mostly knots, finger-jointed together, and covered with a masonite or MDF veneer.
    They are execrable.
    Casey

• southernstitcher
    10 years ago

I feel for you, and may be in the same boat someday if ours gets wet. We had hollow core doors from the 70's that were not taking the paint well, so the contractor went and bought new. I know he got the cheapest he could find.
    I once was about to order some cabinets from a local shop (forget the brand). The sales guy happened to mention a new subdivision where they were installing the same thing. We were able to just go into the houses - they were wide open, windows and all. Now why they had installed these cabinets before putting the flooring in is beyond me! And, being a very rainy season here -- many had paper veneers that were bubbling and already peeling. We went back and thanked him for telling us to look at them, and said thanks but no thanks.

• turbo3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, they were sold to me as solid wood, and with a price to justify. These were about 170/door, whereas a moulded hollow core jeldwen door at HD is about 80. I'll have to check the paperwork but I'm pretty sure it says wood. Even so there's no chance HD is going to do anything about it. My front door is a orepac, fir wood and is very nice, so I was surprised to see such poor quality with these. Interestingly the cheaper jeldwen moulded doors I got for my basement survived just fine with no warping/bubbling etc. Oh well, live and learn.

• worthy
    10 years ago

a moulded hollow core jeldwen door at HD is about 80

Wait for the sales! I picked up Masonite six-panel moulded doors from HD for C$19 about three weeks ago.