Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where is the best entry for a kids playroom

Posted by mundo (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 30, 11 at 23:59

Hi There,

I am looking for some advice on where would be best to put a doorway into a new addition we are building that will become a kids playroom.

The addition will be on the existing walls adjacent to the dining room and living room. We are particularly interested in opinions from people who have small children as we can't decide whether its best to have their own 'private' space, or whether it should be easy access from the living room.

Thanks!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where is the best entry for a kids playroom

I think there are a couple of things to consider.

If the door is in the dining room, will you lose a part of a length of wall that would be the insightful place for a sideboard or other piece of furniture.

If the door is in the living room, will you throw off the symmetry of the room (you could add a built in on the other side of the fireplace to correct this.)

If the door is in the living room, you will have some degree of a sight line into the room to supervise when you are in the living room, and the kitchen, but not when in the dining room. As you probably spend more time in the kitchen proper and the living room, this may prove more useful.

You already have a doorway to the porch in the dining room. Adding another in the DR may make the dining room feel like a passageway.

Or one thought you could also could also consider would be doors in both DR and LR, thus allowing for perfect circulation on the floor. French doors would be nice for this, and that will also allow additional light into the new addition.

I also might add that even though you have heard it many times, kids grow really fast. Size/scale the space for 4 adults, not 2 adults and 2 kids. By the time kids are in 4th grade, they physically take up as much "space" as an adult

o
RE: Where is the best entry for a kids playroom

i think they're should be a door to the screened in porch if at all possible. and i'd make the new room the dining room, unless the kids are old enough so you don't have top keep an eye on them still.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here