Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumberry_gw

walls are open should we wire for FIOS?

plumberry
10 years ago

our walls are open, and ready to be closed but before we do so should we wire for FIOS? Please weigh in.

Comments (8)

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

It's usually either aesthetics or convenience and there has evolved multi-port cover plates which substantially reduces the number of outlets to be covered.

So it all/everything while you have the opportunity.

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

I'd run flex conduit to the different rooms from a single centrally located "home run station" somewhere in the house, but not pull any cable.

Later on you can use the conduit for whatever you need; optical, Cat-"X", coax, etc.

This post was edited by mongoct on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 9:37

• plumberry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks mongoct -
    this makes sense though I'm not sure if the phone company needs to get involved or is this something the contractor can implement on his own.

also, would this take care of phone and tv and internet?
    Thanks!

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Before you decide to embark on this, check with the various providers. They may not want to connect to a common distribution source and insist un separate hubs.

• worthy
    10 years ago

Is fiber optic available or planned in the OP's area? If so, I certainly like the idea, subject to the consideration raised above.

Maybe worthy's family's 350GB per month wouldn't cost so dearly!

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    10 years ago

Based on your questions it sounds like you are not really sure what wiring you need or what is required for the local services. If you want to have cable run you will need to do the research yourself, or find a local company that can tell you what is needed.

In most cases a home run system (all lines run to a single point) works best. You may want at least two, or maybe three runs of Cat 5 (one for phone and two for data) and two coax cables to each jack, but it depends on what FIOS uses. For example, I had AT&T uverse at my last house and it could run over either cable or Cat 5. Some satellite systems also require a phone jack at one receiver so you can authenticate the account. You will have to find out what is needed for your system.

Bruce

• rmtdoug
    10 years ago

There is some very bad advice here in more than one post. Cat 5 is only rated to 100 mbps. If you are wiring for anything, you need at a minimum Cat 5e or Cat 6 ethernet for future-proofing. Do not use Cat 5 cable. You will regret it.

Running dark conduit in the walls is an excellent idea. I did this myself. The conduit in the upstairs rooms runs up into the attic and then down into a large central conduit to the basement. The downstairs rooms run down into the basement and then into the central hub. Keep your conduit runs as short as possible and with as few turns as possible. You only need conduit in the walls, not in open space like the attic or crawl spaces.

Also, don't forget fire suppression when running conduit. You must seal the hole where conduit passes through wall plates and the open end where the wires come out with either rock wool or fire-rated foam.

This post was edited by rmtdoug on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 16:20

• plumberry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

just wanted to come back and say that we went with the cat6 --it was recommended here and by a few electricians we talked to.