Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beenie130

Anyone used 'Creative Crown' foam crown moulding?

beenie130
18 years ago

I found this product on the web called "Creative Crown." It is a foam crown moulding that is glued in place with "liquid nails" glue. The corners are premade so there is very little work involved. You measure the corner angle and order it from them. Not sure how it would look or hold up compared to MDF. Would love to hear from those of you with some experience with Crown Moulding...if you have heard anything about foam crown in general, and this product in particular.

Thanks for your help

Here is a link that might be useful: creative crown

Comments (42)

• ventupete
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Haven't heard of this particular brand but I've seen foam crown used. Obviously you wouldn't want to use it anyplace where it could get hit, which is why I've only seen it used as crown. That said, to me it's indistinguishable from other painted crown.

• beenie130
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ventupete, thanks for the advice. Do you see any disadvantages to using the foam crown, such as damaging the walls if you ever took it down? It sure is tempting to put it up, would be so much easier and less expensive.

• mikden
    18 years ago

The Villa Deco brand of crown molding is the best foam crown molding to use. It is made from hard foam (styrofoam) and it goes up with caulking. Very easy. Hard to find. website is www.villadecousa.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Villa Deco USA

• rox122
    17 years ago

Villa Deco is a quality product (made in Germany) and so far they have distributors in CA, NY, and NJ, but they will ship anywhere. Free samples can be ordered at their new website: www.sosimplecrown.com.

• edgemont
    17 years ago

I've used Focal Point crown moulding from HD, http://www.focalpointap.com , a composite that is glued up. Looks as good as painted wood crown.

• oruboris
    17 years ago

If its going to be painted anyway, I see no point wasting good wood on it. The foam will look as nice, last as long, cost far less.

• cschnell
    16 years ago

I found sosimplecrown on this website and used the product in my living room. Great product, easy, people are very helpful. They did some specialty cuts for us (bay window) no charge. One problem, looks so good the wife wants to do the Master bedroom next.

• cinbun911
    16 years ago

I just put Creative Crown molding in my living room and it looks like wood. They are very nice people to deal with and it was pretty easy for a 5'2" woman to put up alone. It was more work than it seemed, but definitely worth it, especially at 78 cents per foot for 3 1/2 inch molding!! I'm going to do more. Everyone who sees it can't believe it's not wood and I LOVE it.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

cinbun, could you please post a photo so we can see your handy work? Thanks

• User
    16 years ago

Foam is easier to work with than either wood or MDF if you do not have experience with wood. MDF chips rather easily, making sharp angles problematic.

As for the removal and wall damage, how many times does one remove crown molding and not do more extensive reworking?

Use the foam.

• Dora Vann Snider
    16 years ago

Would like to see pictures, too.

Am thinking about using the Creative Crown.

DL

• cinbun911
    16 years ago

I posted a picture of a corner of the living room with the crown up, but it doesn't seem to be on my page.

• david011
    15 years ago

I have not used them specifically, is that the foam stuff? I have always stood by the fact that real hardwood is simply the best material to use. It looks better, but of course requires a bit more to install.

Also, I found a blog that talks about tip just like this. Good tips so far for beginners.

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Crown Molding

• 14aww_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I thought crown moulding is all about wood works but thanks for this. It widen my horizon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown Moulding

• worthy
    13 years ago

Foam looks like foam.

What if it's skim coated with drywall mud before painting?

Just a thought.

I only use plaster moulding as buyers will sneer at any imitations--even if they're fooled by it. (Probably the same people who don't realize that faux finish marble is often as expensive as actual marble.)

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"What if it's skim coated with drywall mud before painting? "

You will round over edges and destroy and detail.

It will look even worse.

The chief problem with foam is the lack of the sharp corners that you get with wood.

Even MDF tend to have problems with sharp corners.

• scott_getoutnow_com
    12 years ago

I couldn't believe that foam crown molding could look as good as wood, but it does! Even on 8 foot ceilings you cannot tell the difference if you do a good job painting it.

I bought Creative Crown Molding for two rooms and love it so much we are going to do two more!

It's easier to work with, it's cheaper and it looks great.

• garden_person
    11 years ago

Thought I'd give foam crown molding a shot, after hearing users recommend it. Still very undecided.

The cost of $2.00 per linear foot is comparable to many mdf and polystyrene molding. Plus to ship a package containing
    8 6.5 foot lengths from Texas to the east cost was $41.00.

So to do a 10 x 13 room... cost of materials $200.00
    Not including primer, paint, adhesive.

Creative Crown WAS selling on their website www.creativecrown.com but now redirects purchasers to two
    other distributors www.sosimplecrown.com and www.foamcrownmolding.com plus a bunch of information URL's to make it look bigger. The product is manufactured in Germany.

I ordered corners... thinking they were corner BLOCKS. Silly me.. all creative crown did was miter 8 pieces to make
    4 corners. For this they charged $22.00

The quality of material left a lot to be desired. Yes this is foam cell, like the stuff used for packaging. I had to
    sand all the pieces and wipe them down to remove the foam bits and dust.

The first coat of water based primer showed ALL of the imperfections of which there were MANY. These pieces were not pristine, each had small dents, gouges. high spots which require sanding down or filling in. These pieces are NOT ready to install out of the box unless as a homeowner you don't take pride in your work. And if I had to put this up for a client... I wouldn't !!!

Haven't put them up yet, so can't tell how they will look or if the seams can be concealed. I'll update this post as
    work progresses.

Definitely NOT an alternative to wood or polystyrene.

This IS lightweight, and go up with construction adhesive. Which basically says... YOU"VE RUINED YOUR CEILING IF YOU HAVE TO TAKE DOWN A BROKEN PIECE OR DECIDE TO GO WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK.

Wood and polystyrene go up with nails and fasteners.. easy
    to patch the nail holes. This stuff goes up with construction adhesive and caulking which is a real bear to remove from a surface.

Don't hit it with a broom handle when dusting your ceiling. Don't use oil-based primers, paints or sprays.

Thankfully I only purchased enough for one room and will look into the more traditional methods for all the other rooms.

• garden_person
    11 years ago

Day two and the nightmare continues. I would highly recommend AGAINST using this product especially if you are a contractor working on a clients house.

If you have a small informal room and use a simple pattern
    this might still work for you especially if you're on a limited budget, BUT in the long run it would be less expensive to go with more durable materials. Having used
    this stuff, I would consider it a liability if I saw it
    in a house. A cheap quick fix.

Problem #1 butting two seams together... and one piece of molding is LARGER than the other one by almost 3/16 of an inch... it looks like almost 3 different batches of molding are here... none match. There is a noticeable
    different in dimensions where seams butt. It ain't seamless !!

Problem #2 The DVD showed CORNER BLOCKS. Instead they ship SHORT PIECES which are mitered. This adds TWO ADDITIONAL SEAMS TO EVERY WALL. CCM13 Santa Fe is a raised intricate pattern, seams are difficult to match up.

Problem #3 This stuff is super easy to dent. Installation instructions say " Lay a bead of construction adhesive about the thickness of a pencil along the edge". TWO problems here.... pushing the piece up against the wall with
    enough pressure to distribute the glue and seat it properly also put dents ALL over as you push each section into place.
    The foam surface which was somewhat dented already now looks positively distressed in several places. Also that
    bead of construction adhesive is so excessive, it goes all over the place, requiring massive cleanup off ceiling. AND if you JUST PAINTED your ceiling... it means you've now FLASHED the paint job and need to do it over again... Another couple of hundred dollars shot to save a few bucks.

A few nice things to say... you can trim this with a razor
    knife and a pair of kitchen scissors.

Well the molding is up on the wall... and I've started spackling which takes 1 to 5 hours to dry before recoating or painting. Because of the intricate pattern " Sunflowers and Vines a.k.a. 'Santa Fe" I loaded each seam
    extra high and will use a dremel tool to smooth the design
    and layer over the covered opening... hoping to make the
    seams invisible.

After rechecking the website.. Creative Crown no longer carries ANY of the Villa Deco moulding.. looks like they completely got rid of their product line. I wonder why ??

So my final opinion... This is a product that belongs on Saturday afternoon info-mercials along with george foreman grills and electric hot dog cookers. It COULD be useful for
    someone looking to flip a house and in a residence where foam molding would not look out of place, but in mid-scale or upscale houses...this is definitely NOT the product.

My fallback position ?? If after spackling, sanding and painting it still looks terrible then I'll cut through the
    adhesive with a putty knife.. scrape off the remaining adhesive, throw this stuff in the trash and replace with
    a higher quality product. One thing is for sure... this
    won't be used in the other rooms... another expensive lesson learned !!

• creativecrown2014
    10 years ago

I would like to start out saying I am the owner of
    Creative Crown foam crown moldings.

The person that posted the comment must not know how to tie his shoes! He needs some help!

'Now I will comment on we sold him SantaFe molding'

We do not sell Santa fe moldings. They are sold by another company not related to us and they are about $1.50 per foot. Not $2.00 per foot.

His comment: Creative Crown was selling on their website www.creativecrown.com but now redirects purchasers to two other distributors www.sosimplecrown.com and www.foamcrownmolding com plus a bunch of information URL's to make it look bigger.The product he purchased is manufactured in Germany.

*Creative Crown does not sell or mfg any crown moldings made in Germany, China or Belgium.*

Foamcrownmolding.com and simplecrown.com
    distribute our products.

CREATIVE CROWN MOLDINGS ARE 100% MADE IN AMERICA!

They are a high density molded foam crown molding.
    They only require 1 coat of paint and install with just simple painters caulk.
    They do not contract or expand like wood moldings do.

They can be cut in most positions in most saws.

YES, they do save a lot of money on labor!

Any DIY person can cut and install Creative Crown Moldings As long they have common sense.

I looked up to see the kind of molding he bought on the web. He purchased a molding with a pattern that does not line up in the corners when cut. Do your homework before you buy! He did not even follow the mfg. suggested installation instructions. They had videos and a toll free # to help him.
    His project problems were caused by him alone.
    Foamcrownmolding.com and simplecrown.com are to very trust worthy companies. They should not be bashed in this manner!

Here is a link that might be useful: Creative Crown

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

My previous home was on a golf course and the entire house was coated with foam! There were golf ball holes everywhere!

I have nothing against foam! It's a good insulator, and I wish my ceilings here were high enough! Love the look of crown molding!

Rock on!
    Suzi

• renovator8
    10 years ago

It seems to me that "garden person" is not a customer of Creative Crown so why would anyone say the owner insulted a customer?

The mistake here appears to be buying things on the internet without paying attention to what you are buying or from who you are buying it.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

My opinion of this unprofessional Internet response stands.

• creativecrown2014
    10 years ago

Creative Crown, If this guy had all of the facts before running down my company I would not have made this post. Our company does not make or sell German made moldings. So it ok to trash us? How would you feel?

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Attacking the victim is disturbing no matter what the justification.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Stooping to the offending parties level makes you look worse as the "professional" in the situation. I doubt anybody reading the OP's rant would take that as gospel and if they were you probably would not want them as a customer either. As I was told years ago there are three sides to every story!

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Garden person's libelous statements were easily accessible through an online search for 6 months. It is impossible to know how much Creative Crown's reputation and business was damaged but since so many people rely on the internet for their information and this thread is currently number 4 in a Google search, the damage could be considerable.

It is the height of petty moralizing to demean someone for getting upset and using angry words when unfairly attacked and irreparably damaged. Only someone who has never been damaged by false accusations and who holds manners above fairness would feel the need to add insult to injury.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 11:00

• remolder22
    10 years ago

Say everyone, I would like to tell you something about Creative Crown. I have bought products form them four times. They have the best customer service of any crown molding company in the country! I could always call them if I had a problem or needed help. They were AAA to me!
    I agree a 100% with his post. I might have done the same if I was in there shoes.
    This person could have picked up the phone and called as I did and got the answer he need. He did run down Creative Crown. I will send all my friends to them.
    I will tell you that they did sell retail and now they are manufacturing a great crown molding. They have been doing this for about a year and a half now. Oh, and they do not have multiple websites. foamcrownmolding.com, crownmoldingsolutions.com and sosimplecrown.com do not belong to them.....
    Please get the facts before you post.
    Have a great day!

This post was edited by remolder22 on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 12:32

• rmtdoug
    10 years ago

If what CreativeCrown says is true, Garden_Person needs to apologize for and retract what they wrote.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

If a member feels that comments are in violation of the terms of service at the GardenWeb and wants them removed he should notify the moderator by clicking on the "contact us" link at the bottom of this page.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

remolders (lol at the spelling) post stinks a little in my mind as he registers today and seems to know the company's history and rack record after having purchased from them a whole 4 times!!

• cschnell
    10 years ago

I use it. Works great and YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT TELL THAT IT IS FOAM. If it looked like foam I would not have put it in 4 rooms of my house, and my neighbors house as well. Install it with caulking not liquid nails. Paints easy too. I can tell you it is one heck of a lot easier to install than mdf. I have used the sosimplecrown, and the creativecrown and they are made by the same company in USA. The guys at simple crown will work with you on cuts and corners. Dont know what all the fuss is about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simplecrown

• cblanco75
    10 years ago

I'm torn because I need to replace the crown in my dining room. I need 6 inside corners, 2 outside corners and 52' total of crown. Home Depot has MDF house of fara crown, total for everything is $175, CreativeCrown comes in at $173.

MDF or Foam?

• remolder22
    10 years ago

Hello, again. About the post by cblanco above. You should not be torn. Please do not look the price comparison.
    MDF is hard to cut and install. Nailing, compound cutting and angles to contend with. A little while after painting MDF you will see little'whiskers' pop up on the surface. Thats the fibers popping up from the water based paint. MDF and wood absorb moisture when its damp and expand and shrink when you heater is turned on. This is how you get joints that show. Their crown moldings do not absorb moisture! The labor savings is at least 50 percent. Its a no brainer! I am using Creative Crown moldings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creative Crown

• James Schlusser
    8 years ago

If creative crown's product was so bad why wasnt there any attempt to return it? If I buy a product that turns out to be less then they promised, then I would return it not just go on a blog and complain about it and the company.

• Bill Turner
    8 years ago

To all of those people that have made negative remarks and blogs against Creative Crown and Simple Crown I what you to know that they do not deserve it! I have purchase from them several times and they go the extra mile to help you, they are polite and friendly people. If you have a problem call them! They will help you! I am very happy with the moldings. They look better than any moldings that you will ever install and they are priced right. I would suggest them to anyone. Just to clear a few things up about their products. They come in 8 foot lengths, made for indoor use, smooth, installs with painters caulk, one coat of paint is needed and cuts very cleanly. Its American made! Thumbs up to 5 stars for Creative Crown!!

• bry911
    8 years ago

Just because someone needs to say it. If all of you guys happen to be legit and you really are impressed with the Creative Crown product, and you really want the company to succeed. The best thing you can do, is to stop creating brand new accounts and posting how much you like them. The first thing I do when I see a post defending some product is hover over the person who posted it. If they have 1, 2 or 3 posts then I assume it is someone at the company who is trying to BS me. Most people here assume the same thing. If they have 10 - 15 I will see what they commented on.

I will NEVER EVER buy this product now. Not because of the criticism, but because all of the posters who registered accounts, and posted once or twice to defend it. Gardenweb may be a brand new addition to Houzz but it was not born yesterday. If you happen to really be legit people defending a product you love, by searching the internet to find any place that defamed it and registering to defend it....STOP, you are ensuring no one here will ever buy it.

If you are actually a representative of the company, then please keep right on doing this. You deserve every one of the sales you will get from this.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

LMAO Bry, 100% on point and I give you credit as I would have called him out in it in much fewer words................

• creativecrown2014
    8 years ago

Creative Crown WOW! I just received that I had a comment from Houzz. It is incredible the fire storm that this page has started.

I just want everyone to know that we have no ill feeling against anyone. Everyone is entitled to their say. Just tell the truth. Have you purchased our product before? So should you comment? I just want to say that we due care about everyone if you have bought from us or not. I know some of the people that have made a comment on this blog. They have purchased from us before and I thank you for their support. This all started with a bash from a customer. They were having some problems installing our moldings. They did not make any attempt to contact us for help. They could have called our toll free number or emailed us and we would have more than happy to have helped them. We would have spent as much time as they needed to assisted them. We have about 30 youtube videos about our product on anything you could ask about. I always take the time to call a company and try to get help if I have a problem with a product. We are a family own business and everyone's business is appreciated. We have the only "molded foam crown molding in America" It is a good product that is easy to install and is a high quality. It is Patent Pending. We did not mean to insult anyone with our earlier post. I hope this puts an end to all of the bickering and we use Houzz for what it was designed for. It is a great website and I enjoy surfing around on it. I love it for home ideas. Thank you so much Houzz. Thank you! God Bless! Owner of Creative Crown 855 633 2125

• steve gensolin
    6 years ago

Just ordered 400 feet... If the product is half as good as their customer service, I'll be ecstatic. I'll post before and after pics, and video of the install. Super excited to get rolling on my project!

• Glenn Cosper
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My customers are installing Creative Crown molding for LED indirect crown lighting. I have heard nothing but great reviews. Here is a link that might be useful: Creative Crown

my link is: http://crownmoldingledlighting.com