Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendog194

Warranty Work on Metal Roof Leak Fix

GreenDog194
10 years ago

Our contractor replaced our torchdown roof with a metal roof and tuckpointed the chimney and sealed it. During each heavy rain after he put the roof on, there have been leaks at the intersection of the chimney and the roof.

First time after the leak, he came out and the roofer said "not my roof" and the mason said "not my tuck pointing," and then they covered the chimney with tarp. Eventually, the contractor fixed something with the flashing and had the mason seal the chimney and re-do the tuckpointing.

Second leak, I have the roofer out again and again have a tarped chimney. This time the contractor explains that it will be $2000 to take the metal roof off in the section and put it back on, and if the roofer doesn't think he has a problem, I need to foot the bill.

The roofer has already told me that he did not caulk or seal the underlayment ice-water barrier to the chimney edge because "it's the roof and flashing that do all the work, so I don't have to do that."

I think that if I have a roof leak and it is under warranty, the contractor has to fix it and pay the cost of whatever it takes to investigate the source of the problem. It seems a real conflict of interest to have the roofer take the roof off, claim there wasn't a problem, put the roof back on, and stick me with the bill.

We live in Seattle, so rain is a fact of life. Is there some third party that comes in to make calls on situations like this? Are there written guidelines on how to install a metal roof that could help identify objectively what should have been done? What do you recommend? We are already in settlement negotiations with the contractor on other matters (oy vey).

Comments (5)