Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konig1985_gw

comment on my basement remodel

Konig1985
11 years ago

I'd like to pick the brains of interior design professionals who can provide some valuable suggestions to two floor plans I've created for my parents' basement. Being priced out of Toronto's housing market, I've decided to renovate my parents' basement to become a condo-like suite but can still provide the function of a suitable to entertain open basement with media room.

Due to the fact the utility room has occupied the right middle side of the basement, I have created 3 rooms (study, attached common bath, bedroom [I intend to use it as fitness unless a guest comes over to stay overnight]) to make life easier for the left side.

My biggest dilemma over the left side master bedroom comes to window size vs shape of the room.

Plan 1 has a more normal rectangular shape but the only window in the master bedroom is a small rectangular one that does not meet fire code. Bathroom is less cramped and closet is much bigger. I cannot enlarge windows anymore in that bedroom because anything left of that point and lower than that point (look at floor camera view) is concrete foundation.

Plan 2 has 2 normal size windows and I can get a seating area but I can only fit in double bed, has to live with a smaller bathroom (possibly without shower as I cramped the shower in without accounting for buffer) and a very odd long closet.

I personally prefer plan 2 for my needs and if I manage to move out my parents can tear down the master bedroom walls to make the basement more open. It is a lot more difficult to remove a bathroom in my opinion.

All comments appreciated and thank you in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture link

Comments (3)