Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Tile to carpet transition?

karyn
10 years ago

I had a tile guy do the master bath in a house we just bought - it was in carpet so he cut the carpet off at the door center and tiled up to it.
Now I'm left with a jagged carpet edge on two doorways wondering what the heck do I use to transition with? I've seen some cases where they roll the carpet over and get it really tight to the tile so there is no extra transitional piece - but it's cut to the edge with no extra so that's not an option.

Any suggestions on what to use would be appreciated - and this would be DIY so something simple hopefully - glue down or ????

Comments (6)

• annzgw
    10 years ago

Geez, what was he thinking! I don't think that type of carpet will tuck and hide the seam as well as a shag carpeting so you'll probably have to use either a wood or metal transition piece.
    I've used a wood piece to transition wood to tile (see link) and had my local Benjamin Moore paint store color match a stain. They only charged me for the small amount of stain that they mixed to make the match! It was a perfect match and after staining and sealing one never notices the transition!

Do I see a pocket door in your photo? If so, make sure the depth of your transition piece still allows the pocket door to close.

Here is a link that might be useful: Transition

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting though I would have to glue down - the link photo of the part from Home Depot shows anchors and screws, and this is on slab foundation...

Thanks!

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

So you'll know next time not to refer this guy and also to have them leave or fold under 2 or 3".
    They make a nail down bullnose carpet trim.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

And, you can nail into concrete with special nails.

Bummer for you though.

• aidan_m
    10 years ago

Never assume a flooring installer will finish the transition to another kind of flooring. A tile-setter does not carry carpeting tools. Flooring installers don't trim the bottom of doors. These disclaimers are usually stated in fine print at the bottom of the proposal.

I would have completed the transition, and trimmed the bottom of the door. I make sure that part is clearly stated in the proposal, and how much I'm charging for that. Usually 50 to $100 per transition, depending on how heavy the door is to take off.

For this, I would use the thin metal floor reducer. Here are the anchors best suited for this application:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hilti HPS light duty concrete anchors

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Actually, looking again at your picture, you have room to put in a small tile transition piece, think border, against what you have there so that the remaining carpet can be folded and attached to the flooring under the pocket door. (this way, when the door is closed, you'll see carpet on one side of door only, and tile on the other side of door only, rather than a little bit of carpet on the tile side of the door.)

See if you can figure out how to attach z-bar to the concrete (youtube it) and put that in place under where the pocket door will slide.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource