Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ynnej_gw

Door knob trends

ynnej
12 years ago

What are the latest trends in door knobs? Sounds silly, I know. We have gold door knobs in our new home and I know I want them gone, but I'm not sure what to replace them with. I'm think oil-rubbed bronze or nickel. Just not sure what style to go for.

Comments (15)

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

The simpler you keep it, the longer it will be in style.

• hilltop_gw
    12 years ago

Have you considered levers instead of knobs? We have gold door knobs in our house, but we're starting to replace them with levers. They're so much easier to use, especially for elderly or if hands are full carrying things.

In an apartment we built we used the Schlage oil rubbed bronze levers. Absolutely love them! But, I do think the oil rubbed bronze has a more masculine feel. We have several doors with a keypad feature that we used in an office area. Love that feature!

Color is personal preference. About the time you think you know the trend or what color will "last", then it changes.

• terrybull
    12 years ago

i make doors for a living and 95% of the people order oil rubb bronze. and then there are a few that get nickle and chrome.

• stormy_weather
    12 years ago

Just a note re: levers instead of knobs. They are also very easy for toddlers to open if that's an issue. My two year old can't escape my house unless someone leaves the door open but at his doctor's office all the doors have levers instead of knobs so he is constantly bolting into the hallway.

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

What style is your home? That will help determine the style of your hardware.

If I were to guess what would be the next trend in metal finish, it would be the natural (unfinished) or "living finish" brass that darkens gradually with age, but stays lighter in wear areas -- you know, the hardware in Victorian and later homes, right up until the '30s or so. It's a classic! Some catalogs are starting to feature it.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I agree that it depends on the overall style of the house. ORB is more traditional usually, & silver tone finishes are generally more contemporary. I agree that the "living" finshes are going to be big.

When I build my house, every door & knob will be salvaged old doors. Every one will be different, as well as the knobs, which be glass or stone.

~Jeana

• vnginger
    11 years ago

I see GOLD is coming back!!!

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Yes, brass is back. But not the cheap overly lacquered too shiny stuff sold at the box stores. Living unlacquered brass is what's hot. Everything that goes around comes around.

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

Gold is going for around $1700.00 an ounce I will take all you want to rid yourself of.

But seriously depending on the interior style will dictate the door handle. Solid marble and stone are getting scarcer at the flea markets and antique stores, crystal is what we have in our home as well as glass. The original backer plates in brass and steel with the original patina really sets these antique door knobs off. Found a few left over at Mom and Dads place, with original backer plates. I wish they kept them all, actually they did and they are in my brothers home!!!!!

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

About the lever door handles: I have wrist problems and tried changing out to levers. Tall dog would open all the doors. When Dear Father-in-Law was still alive, his caregiver would go in the kitchen and make his lunch and bring it back to Dad's room. Dog would go crazy barking at the front door. As soon as caregiver went to find out what was going on at the front door, dog would open Dad's door and jump up and steal his lunch!

I kept the shiny brass when we moved in here seven years ago, figuring it would soon be back in style. So now I need to figure out how to de-lacquer it so that it can tarnish, huh? I do have a nicely patina-ed brass handrail next to the one-step up from our foyer. I stole it from our last house when we readied it for sale, it was too beautiful to leave in the garage vestibule there.

• worthy
    10 years ago

Tall dog would open all the doors.

Not to mention hungry Hollywood velociraptors!

In any case, doorknobs are going the way of dinosaurs. Vancouver, Canada--the California of Canada--has just banned doorknobs in all new construction. Levers will henceforth be mandatory. It's all about accessibility. For man, mammals --and large winged predators, if need be.

• AnnieM100
    10 years ago

My home is going through a major renovation and I selected ORB and the rosette style to match my door. The doors and trim have not been painted yet, but wanted to share the look of the door knobs with you.

• bpollen
    10 years ago

Annie....Beautiful door, and the ORB handleset and hinges look beautiful on it. I'm getting a new entrance door in that same style, but with planks within the panels, and am also getting ORB.

As a plus, I think ORB also blends with nickel or with antique gold, if metals end up being mixed.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

We will also have oil-rubbed bronze handles (no pets to worry about). Yours are lovely, Annie.

I wondered Terrybull what style of door most people order? I am stuck right now with that decision. Our house will lean towards traditional.

Carol